£85000.00 - £90000.00 per annum + + bonus + bens
23 days ago
Hays Senior Finance
Global pharma business currently looking to recruit an experienced VAT Manager for newly created role
Your new role
Reporting to the Director, International Tax (UK) this role provides both UK and International (non-US) VAT support to businesses within the Pharmaceutical Wholesale Division. This role works across multiple different geographies for the to ensure that business transactions are organised in the most VAT efficient and compliant manner and that business processes and controls are robust from an indirect tax perspective. This role is predominantly an advisory role with minimal VAT compliance. This role encompasses a variety of work including advisory, tax planning, training, and compliance across businesses in different countries.
- Business partnering - Assist the Director, International Tax (UK) with oversight of VAT matters by partnering with the businesses and providing day to day Divisional VAT support acting as the main VAT point of contact and managing query resolution. Communicate key indirect tax issues clearly to non-tax specialists.
- Advise on material indirect tax matters across all businesses in the Wholesale Division, interfacing with local and global group stakeholders. Manage the indirect tax impact of business development, provide advice on large transactions, strategic projects (including new supply chains, new income streams and ongoing Brexit support), new contracts and indirect tax aspects of intercompany and 3rd party contracts, ensuring that VAT risk is appropriately managed and transactions are structured in the most tax efficient way.
- Understand the Division's VAT compliance framework and ensure compliance procedures are appropriate to meet the Division's indirect tax compliance requirements (including UK VAT grouping). Support with reviews and maintenance of the indirect tax compliance process identifying areas of potential weakness or opportunities for improvement through business partnering.
- Maintain VAT technical awareness in the UK and other relevant territories, and ensure that significant changes to indirect tax regimes and/or compliance requirements are flagged for the Division to act upon if required.
- This includes supporting the relevant UK businesses with Making Tax Digital for VAT (including review of UK VAT returns in light of Phase 2 MTD digital links requirements) and providing input into VAT requirements for systems to ensure compliance and minimize manual workarounds.
- Manage or support tax audits and investigations by tax authorities including HMRC, working with the wider tax and finance teams as required to ensure enquiries are managed effectively. Ensure compliance with Senior Accounting Officer legislation for VAT processes.
- Attend meetings as required with businesses and provide feedback on a regular basis to the Director, International Tax (UK) on developments, including identifying associated potential VAT issues and methods of resolution.
- Support the Director, International Tax (UK) in identifying and implementing indirect tax optimisation opportunities including VAT savings, VAT cash flow maximisation, product liability and EU VAT refund claims.
- Provide VAT training to key business areas as required.
- Assists as required in the preparation and review of the Indirect Tax elements of the Uncertain Tax Positions, Compliance Tax Status Report, Monthly Tax Report, and/or similar internal documents.
What you'll need to succeed
- Professional indirect tax qualification (e.g. CTA) with indirect tax experience in a tax department of a multinational company or in one of the top 4 accounting firms.
- Hands-on experience of advising on both UK VAT matters and applying indirect tax internationally (i.e. to domestic and cross-border supplies).
- Strong technical knowledge and proven knowledge of current and future VAT legislation.
- Excellent personal and interaction skills; ability to communicate well and explain indirect tax concepts in an appropriate way for stakeholders and contacts in the wider businesses.
- Good practical experience in developing and implementing indirect tax processes and controls.
- The ability to work independently and to drive a project forward.
- Ability to proactively engage and to build and grow relationships across the businesses.
- A good understanding of systems and technology, including familiarity with ERP systems and compliance software is an advantage.
- Ability to communicate tax issues clearly and concisely (in both written and verbal forms) to a variety of individuals and stakeholders with differing levels of tax awareness.
- Practical experience of working with third-party professional advisers in multiple countries.
What you'll get in return
Flexible working options available plus excellent benefits package
What you need to do now
If you're interested in this role, click 'apply now' to forward an up-to-date copy of your CV, or call us now.
If this job isn't quite right for you but you are looking for a new position, please contact us for a confidential discussion on your career.