Competitive + Benefits
18 days ago
The Financial Services sector is one of Mazars’ core strategic markets and is a priority area for our investment and growth. We provide audit, assurance and advisory services to range of financial institutions including commercial and investment banks, and building societies. Our audit clients include some very prestigious organisations.
We are inviting applications to join our Accounting Technical Services team as a banking technical specialist to:
- support our audit teams to continue to deliver high-quality audits in the financial services sector;
- provide technical leadership on emerging financial reporting issues relevant to the financial services sector; and
- generate income from the provision of advisory services to our non-audit clients
The successful candidate will be responsible for:
• Leading financial services technical accounting advisory services in the market, developing connections and delivering high quality advice to leading financial institutions;
• Active involvement in financial services business development activities to identify new business opportunities;
• Responding to internal technical queries from the financial services audit and consultancy business units;
• Reviewing IFRS and UK GAAP financial services financial statements for compliance with relevant accounting framework and legislative requirements;
• Developing and supporting junior team members;
• Delivering technical accounting training to our financial services audit and consulting teams; and
• Supporting the wider Accounting Technical Services team on other accounting technical matters.
This person will have experience of working at a Manager or Senior Manager level within a financial services department of a professional services firm, or have an appropriate background working at a senior level within the banking industry.
• Detailed knowledge of the banking sector and the accounting performed by that sector;
• Robust knowledge of UK GAAP and IFRS accounting standards including a detailed knowledge of IFRS 9 Financial Instruments;
• An understanding of capital market products (including a strong ability to evaluate technical issues);
• In-depth understanding of technical issues facing banking clients including financial instruments;
• Experience of working within a technical accounting team is highly desired;
• Proven track record of managing and delivering projects;
• The ability to prioritise and organise work, with strong attention to detail;
• Excellent written and oral communication skills, especially report writing skills;
• Professional and proactive approach to work;
• Works well with others in the team, maintaining high standards of quality and demonstrating commitment to self-development and to developing others;
• Delivers work to deadlines and keeps relevant parties informed; and
• Experience managing and coaching junior team members.
• Proven track record of establishing and developing business opportunities;
• Experience in reviewing the front half of financial statements and knowledge of corporate governance and other legislative requirements;
• Experience of applying the IFRS 9 impairment process in practice;
• Knowledge of accounting for financial instruments under US GAAP;
• Knowledge of how accounting requirements interact with regulatory requirements, such as those issued by the Basel Committee on Banking Supervision; and
• Strong IT skills including Microsoft PowerPoint, Word and Excel skills.