Tax Specialist (Tax/VAT) x4
|Job Title:||Tax Specialist (Tax/VAT) x4|
|Salary:||£30,531 - 47,591 per year + Excellent Benefits|
|Contact Name:||Michael Swinburn|
|Job Published:||June 21, 2021 15:05|
Please note the successful candidates will be appointed within the salary bracket and the location is flexible with access to a range of regional offices across England.
The Ministry of Justice is a major government department, at the heart of the justice system. We work to protect and advance the principles of justice. Our vision is to deliver a world-class justice system that works for everyone in society. The organisation works together and with other government departments and agencies to bring the principles of justice to life for everyone in society. From our civil courts, tribunals and family law hearings to criminal justice, prison and probation services. We work to ensure that sentences are served, and offenders are encouraged to turn their lives around and become law-abiding citizens. Three of the posts are working for the MOJ with the fourth post appointed within the Home Office (but still part of the tax CoE) on Home Office terms & conditions.
The Tax Centre of Excellence (CoE) was the first CoE to be established and is a central resource for tax advice and services available to government departments. The CoE is made up of the tax teams of the Ministry of Justice (MoJ), Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) and Home Office, supported by the Ministry of Defence and the Department for Health and Social Care.
This is a specialist role to deliver taxation services both within and across government departments where you will be providing a detailed advisory, support and delivery function covering tax / VAT with responsibility for meeting tax obligations as well as driving continuous improvement. You will engage and collaborate with colleagues across government departments including HM Revenue and Customs and HM Treasury.
The responsibilities of the Tax Specialist (VAT) will include
- Working collaboratively across the Tax CoE teams on cross government and HMRC initiatives. Delivery of cross government tax advisory services as well as delivering continuous improvement
- Actively contribute to the cross-government programme of work to make the best use of tax expertise across government
- Building effective relationships across a wide range of stakeholders and having regular government department communication to enhance business awareness, knowledge and skills that build broad capability and knowledge and promote the work of the Tax CoE
- Providing high quality, timely advice, guidance and active assistance on taxation related matters, to assist decision-making and operational effectiveness
- Improve systems and processes in line with tax global principles, ensuring controls and best practice are in place to maintain a strong level of taxation compliance across MoJ, DWP, Home Office and the wider government department sector
- Producing, clarifying and advising on tax/VAT Policy and compliance, interpreting and preparing guidance and providing clear communications on technical issues which are often challenging and complex in nature
- Undertaking technical project work in relation to change initiatives, projects and contracts so that any tax/VAT impact is clearly identified and known early
Key Skills & Experience
- The post holder must have a good working knowledge, track record, experience and understanding of tax or VAT requirements
- Ability to build and facilitate successful working relationships with both internal and external customers
- Strong written and oral communication skills including the ability to translate complex rules into guidance that can be understood across the business and disciplines, influence and challenge senior stakeholders
- Ability to assimilate complex information from both internal and external sources and to provide accurate, compete and timely advice and guidance
- Ability to manage competing priorities and work to demanding timescales
- A willingness to develop further expert knowledge in Tax and VAT, Finance and Government Departments
- Knowledge and experience of tax within government would be useful, but not a necessity
For more information, please apply using the link, or contact Michael Swinburn or Jack White at our retained search agent, Robertson Bell.
Get similar jobs like these by email
By submitting your details you agree to our T&C's
£60000.00 - £70000.00 per annum
£60000.00 - £70000.00 per annum
£40000.00 - £60000.00 per annum + generous pension & bonus
Interim Financial Accountant
£46533 - £47000 per annum