Tax Manager - Finance
|Job Title:||Tax Manager - Finance|
|Job Published:||September 30, 2020 10:30|
Join our team
Are you an experienced tax manager with a strong background in Partial Exemption and VAT? Do you like to get out amongst your current stakeholders and talk face to face about tax in a way which is compelling and engaging? Are you looking to join a fun, diverse and dynamic team which plays a critical role in supporting ICAEW? If so, read on!
You will be managing ICAEW tax processes, activities and controls ensuring compliance in addition to the provision of proactive advice and guidance to internal stakeholders on tax related matters (e.g. new activities; contractual arrangements etc)
- Tax Compliance and Advisory for ICAEW including Trusts and Subsidiaries, covering:
- VAT (this is the primary focus with specific attention to partial exemption and reverse charge VAT)
- Corporation Tax
- Employment Taxes
- Other Taxes as appropriate
- Liaison with HMRC
- Input to Planning, Budgeting & Forecasting re Tax ensuring that any effects of irrecoverable VAT, Corporation Tax or other taxes are taken into consideration
- Input to the cashflow forecasting process with respect to cash inflows and outflows from VAT or other taxes
- Proactive advice and guidance to internal stakeholders on tax related matters (e.g. new activities; contractual arrangements, proposed changes to tax rates/ rules etc)
- Scanning the horizon for any potential tax changes, ensuring that the Head of Financial Accounting & Tax and Director of Finance & Operations are made aware of any which might affect ICAEW
- Ownership of own personal and career development through on-the-job coaching and up-skilling
- Proactively support Head of Financial Accounting & Tax and the wider Finance team to build and maintain a high performance team that delivers added value with progression and development opportunities
- Specific duties will vary from time to time in line with the business needs
• Relevant accountancy or tax qualification and relevant tax experience
• Technically strong (in particular VAT and Partial Exemption)
• Committed and proactive
• Articulate and able to explain complex concepts in a simple and succinct manner, both verbally and in writing
• Self-motivated, able to work both on their own but to collaborate with, and keep other team members informed, as necessary
• Able to see the broader picture and identify implications of proposals
ICAEW values – for all employees
The 3 i’s are the values that drive everyone’s attitude and approach to working at ICAEW. They help us to collaborate, innovate and be an agile organisation.
• Actively collaborate to identify needs and look for innovative solutions.
• Bring together different groups and communities to work together.
• Empower people to be agile, so they can take ownership and harness the collective efforts of ICAEW in a flexible and responsive way.
• Actively gather insights to develop innovative and considered thought.
• Collaborate with our networks to voice different perspectives and insights internally and externally, to stimulate discussion and debate.
• Be agile in finding new and timely ways to provide understanding and insight to our members, organisations and government.
• Act with transparency, consistency and openness as integrity underpins everything we do.
• Stand by your principles to adhere to the highest professional standards even when facing adversity.
• Do the right thing, even when no one is looking.
Our department: Finance
The Finance department is responsible for activities in four core areas: stewardship, control and risk assessment, transaction processing, and strategic decision support.
In addition to financial support, they also provide assistance with legal and contracts queries, IP and brand protection, GDPR and data protection, project management and continuous improvement.
As a team they support ICAEW on a day-to-day basis to assist in the delivery of the strategy at the same time as ensuring effective and efficient financial management. This includes advising ICAEW on strategic and operational matters relating to finance. This entails looking after ICAEW’s financial systems including core accounting, payroll, tax and insurance processes.
They also manage ICAEW’s fees and subscriptions billing and collection process in addition to preparing monthly management accounts and annual financial statements. They also provide support for planning, setting and monitoring of budgets, forecasts and operational plans.
Not the role for you?
We often have other roles we are recruiting for and we’re always interested to hear from people, particularly if you have experience in accountancy practice, the legal and regulatory sector, or digital skills. Please visit our job portal for the latest opportunities.
Why work at ICAEW?
At ICAEW we offer a comprehensive benefit package which enables our employees to choose from a range of options including:
24 days holiday, increasing with service and the ability to buy or sell holiday.
Group personal pension plan with an employer contribution of 9%,
Private medical insurance
An additional day off at Christmas
Potential to work from home and our offices
Season ticket travel loans
As well as offering employee benefits, we truly believe in creating a diverse and empowering culture where our teams can thrive and be themselves. We support sustainability, corporate and social responsibility campaigns and encourage our employees to take a day to work for a cause of their choice, or to work collaboratively as a team in doing this. We nominate and support two charities every year and run all manner of events to raise money. Our active social committees provide fun events ranging from the seasonal parties, to quiz nights and bowling tournaments.
Here are just a few of the initiatives we run to fly the flag for employee well-being, equality and diversity:
CABA supports the well-being of ICAEW Chartered Accountants, ACA students and ICAEW members of staff – helping them through challenging times and also offering guidance for personal development.
Whenever you contact CABA, you will be assigned a highly trained adviser who will devise a bespoke programme of practical, emotional and financial support to address and resolve your situation. Any information provided will be held in the strictest confidence. Please visit caba.org.uk for more information.
Our LGBT+ network, the Together Community, aims to create an open, progressive and informed working environment to support ICAEW's employees and stakeholders. They provide regular meetings and activities, and act as a point of contact for LGBT+ employees and allies for related issues.
Our Diversity and Inclusion network, embrace, creates a supportive working environment for all our colleagues while also encouraging employees to understand the needs of individuals across our organisation. It helps us to understand our individual differences, so we can support each other with respect. If you’re interested in our work around inclusion and these communities please visit: https://www.icaew.com/insights/diversity-and-inclusion and also our Instagram feed.
Get similar jobs like these by email
By submitting your details you agree to our T&C's