Tax and General Accountancy Case Manager - Investigation
|Job Title:||Tax and General Accountancy Case Manager - Investigation|
|Salary:||£55,000 - £65,000 dependent on experience|
|Contact Name:||Christopher Fox|
|Job Published:||November 26, 2020 15:03|
Join our team
‘The role uses the skills, knowledge and experience (both commercial and technical) I’ve acquired in previous jobs, and I’m still learning.’
‘It’s a dynamic and flexible role that combines collaboration with working autonomously. I don’t go to the same job every single day and some days I work from home.’
Be part of a team that ensures the highest levels of public confidence in the services delivered by practising members.
Using your people skills and considerable technical knowledge, you will visit firms of all sizes to review their procedures, processes and controls to make sure they align with relevant regulations and standards. You will provide constructive professional advice to help firms identify practical solutions to any findings you raise. You will also act as an ambassador for ICAEW, providing advice, managing concerns and explaining services either on a day-to-day basis or at events. For those wanting to broaden their horizons you may be involved in developing quality assurance programmes for other international bodies.
- To provide a responsive, professional interface with members and the public to ensure that all complaint and regulatory casework is performed to the highest professional standards which inspires members’ and the public’s confidence in ICAEW and the accountancy profession.
- Manage to resolution a portfolio of casework and where appropriate find pragmatic solutions to problems.
- Manage volume and timeliness of reporting and ensure high standards of reporting are maintained to provide internal/external stakeholders (eg committees, members, the public, other regulators) with an accurate and balanced view of the outcomes.
- Answer correspondence and telephone enquiries in a timely manner and provide information to firms and members within area of technical knowledge.
- Develop, implement and maintain effective systems and procedures to support casework including providing regular updates and feedback on own casework to senior managers.
- Where appropriate, facilitate, and prepare work for consideration by Committees and assist the Committees secretary to support and monitor the work of the of the Committees to ensure effective discharge of their responsibilities.
- Provide assistance and advice in area of specialist knowledge to colleagues across ICAEW.
- Specific duties will vary from time to time in line with the business needs.
- Strong recent experience in Practice, focussing on either Taxation or General Accountancy
- A good grasp of all relevant legislation in area of expertise.
- Professional qualification (e.g ACA, ACCA, CTA) and experience of work conducted by Institute members/firms.
- Sound knowledge of the ICAEW’s Bye-Laws, regulations and ethical guidance.
- Good planning skills and the ability to work under pressure.
- Computer literate with a good working knowledge of Word and Excel.
ICAEW values – for all employees
The 3 i’s are the values that drive everyone’s attitude and approach to working at ICAEW. They help us to collaborate, innovate and be an agile organisation.
- Actively collaborate to identify needs and look for innovative solutions.
- Bring together different groups and communities to work together.
- Empower people to be agile, so they can take ownership and harness the collective efforts of ICAEW in a flexible and responsive way.
- Actively gather insights to develop innovative and considered thought.
- Collaborate with our networks to voice different perspectives and insights internally and externally, to stimulate discussion and debate.
- Be agile in finding new and timely ways to provide understanding and insight to our members, organisations and government.
- Act with transparency, consistency and openness as integrity underpins everything we do.
- Stand by your principles to adhere to the highest professional standards even when facing adversity.
- Do the right thing, even when no one is looking.
The team considers the conduct outlined in every complaint they receive against ICAEW’s regulations, codes, standards and guidance. They judge whether there appears to be a case to answer, and if there appears to be, they will either:
Give the member or firm the opportunity to resolve the matter if the case is suitable and the parties willing; or investigate the complaint to see if the conduct warrants disciplinary action.
If there is sufficient evidence to support a complaint, a committee of chartered accountants and lay members may discipline the member or firm and, if they undertake work in any of the regulated areas, they may lose the right to operate in that area. Typical complaints include loans to and from clients, mishandling of clients’ money, signing audit reports when not a registered auditor, and convictions.
It’s not just ICAEW members who need to comply; ACA and CFAB students and affiliates also need to adhere to the rules and regulations.
Not the role for you?
We often have other roles we are recruiting for and we’re always interested to hear from people, particularly if you have experience in accountancy practice, the legal and regulatory sector, or digital skills. Please visit ICAEW.com for more information.
Why work at ICAEW?
At ICAEW we offer a comprehensive benefit package which enables our employees to choose from a range of options including:
- 24 days holiday, increasing with service and the ability to buy or sell holiday
- Group personal pension plan with an employer contribution of 9%
- Private medical insurance at family level
- An additional day off at Christmas
- Gym discounts
- Dental Plan
- Potential to work from home and our offices
- Season ticket travel loans
As well as offering employee benefits, we truly believe in creating a diverse and empowering culture where our teams can thrive and be themselves. We support sustainability, corporate and social responsibility campaigns and encourage our employees to take a day to work for a cause of their choice, or to work collaboratively as a team in doing this. We nominate and support two charities every year and run all manner of events to raise money. Our active social committees provide fun events ranging from the seasonal parties, to quiz nights and bowling tournaments.
Here are just a few of the initiatives we run to fly the flag for employee well-being, equality and diversity:
CABA supports the well-being of ICAEW Chartered Accountants, ACA students and ICAEW members of staff – helping them through challenging times and also offering guidance for personal development.
Whenever you contact CABA, you will be assigned a highly trained adviser who will devise a bespoke programme of practical, emotional and financial support to address and resolve your situation. Any information provided will be held in the strictest confidence. Please visit caba.org.uk for more information.
Our LGBT+ network, the Together Community, aims to create an open, progressive and informed working environment to support ICAEW's employees and stakeholders. They provide regular meetings and activities, and act as a point of contact for LGBT+ employees and allies for related issues.
Our Diversity and Inclusion network, embrace, creates a supportive working environment for all our colleagues while also encouraging employees to understand the needs of individuals across our organisation. It helps us to understand our individual differences, so we can support each other with respect.
If you’re interested in our work around inclusion and these communities please visit: https://www.icaew.com/insights/diversity-and-inclusion and also our Instagram feed.
Get similar jobs like these by email
By submitting your details you agree to our T&C's
Audit Senior – Not for Profit and General Practice
Commercial Finance Manager - Bids and Contracts
£60000.00 - £70000.00 per annum + car, bonus and benefits
Knowledge and Technical Manager - A4S
Tax Manager, US Corporate Tax
Director of Finance and Resources