11 days ago
Senior Tax Manager - London
We are recruiting for a Senior Tax Manager to work within our Holborn office. This is a tax advisory role within a busy team advising predominantly owner managed businesses ('OMB') on both corporate and personal tax matters, reporting directly to the Partner heading the team. The role will involve working with internal clients alongside General Practice Partners and Associate Partners as well as external professionals and their clients on a variety of tax advisory and planning work which includes transactional work and long term tax projects. The advisory work encompasses the life cycle of a business from start-up structuring through to growth and expansion to exit planning for owners and families. The role will also involve dealing with ad-hoc tax queries which come through the firm's networking sources including a tax helpline for accountants.
Due to growth within the largest and fastest growing region of Haines Watts we are looking for highly skilled entrepreneurial individuals to join to the team to assist us in achieving our strategic goal of being the number one advisor to owner managed businesses.
We are a top 15 accountancy firm specialising within the owner-managed business area across the UK. A well-established firm since the 1930s with an entrepreneurial and dynamic feel who are continuing to grow nationally as well as regionally.
The Senior Tax Manager role is offering a competitive salary, study support (if needed), a great career path to progress within the firm and a great benefits package.
Senior Tax Manager - Competency framework
- Possess a general tax background with good working knowledge and awareness of all taxes perhaps with a corporate tax bias ideally with an accounting background and good understanding of accounts
- Ideally some experience of property tax including SDLT or an interest in developing some expertise in this area of tax
- Be comfortable in client facing situations and happy to pick up one off ad hoc queries via the telephone helpline as well as assist partners and associate partners on larger transactional projects often at the same time
- A team player, able to work alongside the head of the team as well as General Practice Partners and Associate Partners but also managers and juniors delegating, reviewing work and acting as a mentor
- Have an appetite to market and promote the team and wider firm offering. Start to build working relationships with clients and professionals to generate their own future pipeline of work. Assist with marketing projects both internally and externally which may involve article writing and presentations
- Good commercial awareness in terms of winning new work, fee negotiations and deliverables
The Senior Tax Manager duties will be:
- Working alongside Partners and Associate Partners on various tax planning and advisory work. Working with team members to deliver work within given timeframes and budget, including transactional work largely on business reconstructions including management buyouts, purchases of own shares and demergers. There would also be an opportunity to work on the following:
- Property tax work including, property incorporations, property investment group planning and principal private residence enquires plus SDLT
- Corporation tax for close companies and larger groups
- Share reward schemes such as EMIs and use of growth shares
- IHT planning
- Working alongside General Practice Partners/Associate Partners and the Corporate Finance Partner providing ad hoc advisory and technical support in relation to tax due diligence work on sale transactions.
- Reviewing work within the team and supporting the team. Identifying issues for others and cross selling opportunities.
- Dealing with ad-hoc queries via the firm's tax helpline and the Tax Compliance teams
- Supporting the Associate Partner and Partners on pursuing new work opportunities, preparing fee proposals and marketing the firms' tax capabilities to build their own client following and work pipeline.
- Contributing to ideas for internal newsletter and assisting with presentations as necessary and attending networking opportunities.
- Mentor and manage staff within the team
- 2 years' post-qualification tax experience
- Experience in a small or mid-tier accountancy practice with exposure to owner managed businesses
- Tax advisory/project experience with specific experience in dealing with business reconstructions and property tax work.
- Experience of researching technical issues and preparing technical reports
- Broad and general tax knowledge of all aspects of direct taxes
- ATT, CTA, ACA or ACCA with tax experience
The Senior Tax Manager will have the following skills:
- Excellent time management, planning, project management and organisational skills
- Strong communication skills
- Good technical research and writing skills
- Ability to work well under pressure
If you are keen to secure an Senior Tax Manager role within a unique top 15 accountancy firm offering a great start to your career, please apply today to find out more.
We do not pay agency fees where speculative and unsolicited CVs are submitted to Haines Watts by any means. For any CVs which are submitted without instruction from the Haines Watts Recruitment team, Haines Watts reserves the right to contact and work directly with these candidates without payment any agency fee.