£50,345 to £57,917 plus £2,000/£4,000 accountancy allowance
17 days ago
Strategic Financial Analysis Lead (A)
£50,345 – £57,917 per year + £2,000/£4,000 Accountancy Allowance
Closing Date: 9th August 2020
The Department for Digital, Culture, Media & Sport (DCMS) is at the heart of the government’s economic and social agendas. A quarter of UK businesses are in our sectors and are among the most exciting and fastest growing of the whole economy. They provide 5.2 million jobs and deliver £38bn worth of exports. Our mission is to drive growth, enrich lives and promote Britain to the world.
Working in conjunction with our over 40 Arm’s Length Bodies, we strive to create the conditions for everyone to enjoy our national culture, play sport, make the most of new technologies and have access to effective communications. Our sectors are critical to ensuring we have a strong place in the world - creating a global UK whose cultural, technological, creative, community and sporting assets mark us out as an essential partner for trade and investment. And making places that people want to live in, work in, invest in and visit.
The Strategic Finance team lead on all Departmental-wide Financial considerations. These include:
- Leading on Fiscal Events Financial Strategy, including all financial input into Spending Reviews and Budget
- Providing all Financial Analysis relating to medium-term financial planning
- Liaising with HM Treasury on all financial issues and fiscal events
- Support on Business Planning for the Department, ensuring our funding is allocated according to our priorities and provides greatest value for money
- Leading on all Financial Planning for future years, ensuring any financial decisions take into account future trends and strategies
The position will take the lead on Strategic Financial Analysis for the Department and our ALBs. They will use their analytical expertise to work with our data and across the Department and our ALBs to deliver a successful Spending Review and beyond, and provide an oversight to the Department’s Finance Committee and Investment Sub-Committee, ensuring funding is spent in compliance with Managing Public Money.
Key responsibilities include:
- Lead on all aspects of analysis relating to the Spending Review, future fiscal events and financial planning. This includes trend analysis and analysis of all new bids, ringfenced funding and expected budget requirements in order to tell a coherent story to HM Treasury.
- Own any templates that we are required to return to the Centre, ensuring that all decisions are tracked and reconcile within our return.
- Lead on modelling of savings and efficiencies across the Department, ensuring we fully understand the impact of any decision to reduce funding in areas if we are looking to prioritise particular areas. This work will feed into advice up to Ministers and our Executive Board.
- Lead on the zero-based review of Capital spending, analysing our current capital spend and working with the Strategy function to analyse the impact of new capital bids.
- Support Finance Business Partners in providing assurance on Business Cases, ensuring all new bids are in line with Managing Public Money and our Departmental objectives.
- Work closely with Finance Business Partners to undertake trend analysis for our Financial Narrative across the Department and our ALBs.
- Lead on the analysis and consolidation of numbers required for our annual Business Planning Round, working closely with Finance Business Partners to fully understand our requirements.
- Embed a process of future year forecasting, which will enable us to analyse our expected financial trends into the future.
The successful candidate will demonstrate the following:
- Experience of providing financial analysis on complex projects
- Collaborative and able to work well with others
- Able to work well under their own initiative
- Solutions-orientated and able to complete work in a timely manner without prompting
- Full CCAB or CIMA accountancy qualification, or actively training (desirable)
- Experience in writing advice to senior leaders and ministers (desirable)
- Intermediate or higher Excel skills (desirable)
For more information on the key responsibilities and tasks, please apply using the link for the full candidate pack, or contact Michael Swinburn or Stuart Thomson at our retained search agent, Robertson Bell on DCMS@robertsonbell.co.uk or 0203 824 7100.