£37,300 - 40,248 per year + up to £5,000 accountancy allowance
20 days ago
Salary - £37,300 - £40,248 + up to £5,000 accountancy allowance
The Government Property Agency (GPA) was launched as an Executive Agency of the Cabinet Office in 2018. The GPA represents a step change in the way that Government property estate and assets are managed efficiently, by providing innovative and flexible solutions across the Government estate. The GPA is expected to grow exponentially over the first few years of its existence; this equates to transferring hundreds of assets (worth billions of pounds) onto its balance sheet from Government Departments, as well as gaining responsibility for the running of a large part of the central government office estate.
The GPA offer flexible working with the ability to work from home with occasional travel required to the Birmingham office.
The Senior Payroll Accountant supports the GPA payroll management process to ensure that employees are paid accurately and on time in accordance with contracts and relevant legislation. The process involves collaborating with HR to maintain workflows from HR systems through to the General Ledger. The post holder will contribute to GPA developing a culture of strong financial management.
The responsibilities of the Senior Payroll Accountant will include
- Manage workflows to ensure all payroll transactions are processed accurately and on time, collaborating with GPA HR, Cabinet Office and outsourced shared service provider
- Prepare monthly payroll journal and reconciliation and approve monthly payment
- Issue payroll and other staff cost reports to GPA budget holders and business partners for review and validation, supporting corrective actions as required
- Support the staff costs financial planning and forecasting processes, ensuring compliance with delegations and government policy
- Manage annual leave accrual process including forecast and data collection
- Collaborate with HR on production of the Remuneration and Staff Report, providing advice and guidance as required
- Coordinate the delivery of internal and external audits of staff costs and disclosures
- Provide advice and guidance on payroll accounting issues
- Drive continuous process efficiencies and improvements across the function, delivering maximum value for the GPA and ensuring robust controls are in place
- Seek out opportunities to contribute to cross-government and cross-finance initiatives outside of own role
- Build relationships with key staff across Finance and the business in order to maintain effectiveness and relevance during change
- Ensure cross-government Payroll principles are embedded within the GPA
Key Skills & Experience
- Must hold a CCAB or equivalent qualification
○ (or part-qualified, reasonably close to completion)
- Good experience of payroll accounting, ideally in a public sector context
- Good experience of using Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) systems
- Proficient using Microsoft Excel
- Strong attention to detail and ability to analyse and interpret significant amounts of financial data
- Ability to build relationships with stakeholders and decision makers and communicate with confidence and credibility on complex financial and payroll issues
For more information on the Senior Payroll Accountant, please apply using the link, or contact Michael Swinburn or Jack White at our retained search agent, Robertson Bell.