Senior Accountant - Financial Control
|Job Title:||Senior Accountant - Financial Control|
|Salary:||£51729.00 - £58207.00 per annum + +5k accountancy allowance|
|Contact Name:||Steven O'Connell|
|Job Published:||November 11, 2020 11:36|
The Department for Digital, Culture, Media & Sport (DCMS) is at the heart of the government's economic and social agendas. A quarter of UK businesses are in our sectors and are among the most exciting and fastest growing of the whole economy. They provide 5.2 million jobs and deliver £38bn worth of exports. Our mission is to drive growth, enrich lives and promote Britain to the world.
Working in conjunction with our over 40 Arm's Length Bodies we strive to create the conditions for everyone to enjoy our national culture, play sport, make the most of new technologies and have access to effective communications. Our sectors are critical to ensuring we have a strong place in the world - creating a global UK whose cultural, technological, creative, community and sporting assets mark us out as an essential partner for trade and investment. And making places that people want to live in, work in, invest in and visit.
This role is in the central Financial Accounting and Control Team (FACT). In addition to being DCMS' financial and technical accounting Centre of Excellence, the teams leads in managing the financial control and operations of the Department, the National Lottery Distribution Fund and the production of the consolidated accounts of the DCMS Group. The central Finance team (of which FACT is an integral part) is relatively small and this provides opportunities for development not always found in a bigger department. Finance is high on the agenda and provides the opportunity to include the direction of the Department for the future.
Your new role
Leading a small but experienced team, and reporting to the Head of Financial Control, your primary responsibilities are:
● Ensuring that the Department's financial systems, cash management and cash forecasting regimes run securely, smoothly and efficiently.
● Financial control of the Core Department
● Preparation of the DCMS Core Department Accounts.
● Providing technical financial and accounting advice to internal and external stakeholders.
● Production and delivery of DCMS' input to the Whole of Government Accounts
● Management and delivery of robust financial policies, controls, processes and systems
● Supervision of the Core Department's Statement of Financial Position, including cash forecasting, prompt payment compliance
● Management of the core department's key finance system (Integra) and the relationship with the department's shared service provider
● Development of financial control and compliance processes
● Overseeing the payment process for suppliers via Purchase to Pay (P2P), including prompt payment monitoring and reporting \
● Drive financial awareness & compliance by promoting processes & policies and be an ambassador for change process improvement
● Leading the audit of the core department and ensuring all necessary documentation is available to the NAO
● Preparation and delivery of papers and submissions to internal and external stakeholders including responses to NAO, technical guidance papers, Board papers and submissions
● Provision of sound technical advice on complex accounting, taxation and budgeting issues to a wide range of stakeholders
● Increase the profile of FACT by collaborating and working alongside other finance teams to improve the services provided to the Department, whilst maintaining assurance and financial standards
● Leadership and line management (including recruitment, development and training) of 3 staff
The successful candidate will demonstrate
● CCAB qualification.
● Experience and knowledge of IFRS, UK GAAP and / or Charities SoRP
● Development and delivery of process improvements
● Advanced Excel skills
● Experience of preparing (or auditing) accounts in conformity with relevant accounting standards
● Demonstrable leadership skills
● Demonstrable attention to detail
● Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to influence others
● Excellent project management skills
This role will be based in any one of DCMS's regional hubs. Hubs are currently based in London and Manchester, with further regional hubs set to be established in the near future. The hub locations this role is based in are displayed on the job advert. It is anticipated that the successful candidate will have the flexibility to work remotely, with the anticipation that they attend a hub location 3-4 times per week in accordance with the needs of the team. Frequent travel to other hubs may be required.
The salary is set within the band A pay range, £51,729 - £58,207 (plus a Finance allowance of up to £5,000 dependant on qualifications). We offer fantastic benefits including a generous annual leave entitlement, flexible working and access to the civil service pension scheme plus more benefits which are included in the candidate pack.
The Civil Service embraces diversity and promotes equal opportunities. As such, we run a Disability Confident Scheme (DCS) for candidates with disabilities who meet the minimum selection criteria.
The closing date for applications is 23.55pm BST Friday 20th November 2020.
For more information or an informal discussion, please apply via the link, or contact Steven O'Connell at our retained search agent, Hays, to request the full candidate information pack.
Get similar jobs like these by email
By submitting your details you agree to our T&C's
Senior Year End / Financial Accountant
Up to £550.00 per day + inside IR35
£300 - £400 per annum
Interim Assistant Project Accountant
Leeds, West Yorkshire
£40000 - £50000 per annum
Contract Accountant (Local Government)
£27.00 - £32.00 per hour + enhanced benefits