Public company Advisory Manager
|Job Title:||Public company Advisory Manager|
|Salary:||50000 - 60000|
|Contact Name:||Heena Rathod|
|Job Published:||October 15, 2020 16:12|
In the Public Company Advisory team we advise private and public small-mid cap high-growth companies seeking growth, specifically through accessing public / equity funding in the following ways:
- Initial public offerings (IPOs) and stock market flotations - we are a leading independent Nominated Adviser in the London market advising companies on the AIM Market.
- Adviser to quoted companies - we act as a trusted adviser to quoted companies on an ongoing basis. Our portfolio includes companies on the Main Market, AIM and AQSE exchanges.
- Public company M&A - we deliver the specialist advice required by the City Code on Takeovers and Mergers for M&A transactions that involve buying or selling a 'plc'
The Public Company Advisory team sits within Grant Thornton’s Deals and Consulting business which comprises several teams including corporate finance, valuations, business consulting and due diligence. As a manager, you will be part of the client service team advising clients on transformational projects for their businesses and on delivering ongoing value to shareholders. You will be interfacing with client management (typically C-suite executive) and other professionals. You will be assisting in coordinating client services and advice from other professional firms (e.g. lawyers and stockbrokers) and other internal specialists from our Deals and Consulting business and other advisory service lines.
Let’s talk about the job
If you enjoy working on a wide-reaching range of projects that will help businesses and communities flourish, you’ll fit right in. Here are some things you can expect from this Manager role in our Public Company Advisory team.
- Making quality second nature. This means doing what’s right even when no one’s looking. The work that you will do has a major impact on our clients and our firm. We pride ourselves on the high-level standards we have for the work that we do.
- You will be expected to develop a sound awareness and adherence to our risk management processes and procedures.
- You should know when to seek advice from the senior team members and other specialists as appropriate.
- Own your own work. This will include assuming responsibility for individual work streams which will be assigned by senior team members and reporting back directly. You will be expected to seek feedback on your performance for your future development.
- Your day-to day role will include specific work streams and tasks relating to client deliverables covering a range of regulatory issues involving areas such as the AIM Rules for Companies, the Takeover Code and the Market Abuse Regulation.
- Your day-to-day role will also include leading and managing the delivery of marketing documentation, including pitch materials and client proposals.
- You will be expected to demonstrate an understanding of the commercial objective of your work and how this fits into the overall project or client deliverable.
- Be a part of a team. You will be joining a team of professionals who are committed to the delivery of high quality advice and maintenance of standards in a regulated environment.
- You will work effectively and enthusiastically with all members of the team.
- You will contribute to the team’s compliance procedures and risk monitoring.
- Take responsibility. We will empower you to act as a trusted business adviser to our clients.
- You will be assigned to a client portfolio and will be expected to build good working relationships with all colleagues and clients that you interact with.
- You will undertake to learn about your clients, and their requirements, and to do your own research using available resources to identify solutions to their business needs.
- Build your brand. You’ll be working closely company executives and other professional advisers. You will be building rapport and developing lasting relationships based on trust and quality work with these individuals.
- You will be attending meetings with clients and potential clients (including pitching for new work) and will be expected to be able to present yourself articulately and professionally.
- You will be expected to build and maintain a network of relationships in our market place as well as internally at Grant Thornton.
- You will be expected to actively develop yourself which will include seeking opportunities to attend workshops to develop your technical and personal skills.
- You will be expected to develop your commercial awareness and capability to assess potential opportunities.
- Communications. You will build trusted relationships with clients and colleagues. You will be able to demonstrate that you are able to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing. You will be responsible for reviewing transaction documentation, including admission documents, shareholder circulars and management presentations, as well as stock market announcements for the client portfolio.
- Project Delivery. You will be expected to manage a project team involving both internal and external parties for transactions such as a company flotation or takeover and will be expected to drive forward these projects. You will be expected to effectively delegate and support junior team members.
- Client management. You will manage the day to day activities of a portfolio of retained public clients, advising board and executive management on the ongoing activities of the company. You will demonstrate the ability to prioritise and manage multiple client activities. You will support senior colleagues in the development of services to meet clients’ needs.
- Team administration. You will manage elements of the team’s compliance procedures as well as reviewing the regulatory record keeping for your clients. You will be responsible for assignment files and team records. You will support senior colleagues in regulatory correspondence and reporting.
- Application of technical knowledge. You will be expected to demonstrate strong technical knowledge and understanding and be able to apply this in the context of client assignments. You will demonstrate an individual commitment to personal development and for keeping abreast of relevant regulatory requirements and developments.
- Business Development. You will build and maintain a network of contacts within the firm and the wider business community. You will participate in business development activities and contribute effectively to sales pitches and drafting proposals. You will be expected to have an understanding of the full range of the firm's products, services and capabilities and take an active role in cross selling.
The minimum criteria
Education, experience and qualifications:
You will have relevant prior work experience advising quoted companies in the United Kingdom within the context of a nominate adviser, sponsor or AQSE corporate adviser firm.
- Maths and English Language grade B or above at GCSE (or equivalent)
- Appropriate University degree (or equivalent)
- Desirable – qualified accountant or qualified lawyer or technical qualification (such as CISI certificate or diploma)
- Experience of using MS Excel, Word and Powerpoint
Skills to set you apart
Here are a few more skills we are looking for. Don’t worry if you don’t tick every box. It’s important for us to support you in your role and help you to develop along the way.
- You’ll be a self-starter. You will be comfortable working in a transaction environment and demonstrate responsibility for your clients, using your initiative to consider appropriate actions and actively seeking buy in from the wider team.
- You’ll have good organisational skills. You will be able to manage a portfolio of clients and demonstrate that you are able to effectively prioritise and manage your activities. This will include being open about work priorities with the wider team. We achieve our objectives by working together as a team, supporting each other and communicating all the time.
- You'll apply critical reasoning to bring clarity and insight. You will be able to analyse information and offer considered conclusions and solutions. We do it by asking great questions, listening and drawing on our collective knowledge and experience to really help others grow.
- You'll seize opportunities. You will seek to develop and strengthen new and existing client relationships, looking at client needs and how these can be serviced by the wider Grant Thornton teams. You will also demonstrate an understanding of the risks and challenges of fulfilling a client’s requests. We want to adapt quickly and wisely to changing conditions to optimise growth for both our clients and ourselves.
- You’ll be proactive and committed to learning. We want to grow our team by providing development opportunities for the individuals in it to expand their capabilities.
Do you care about the same things we do?
We have six values we work by. When we meet, we’ll want you to show us how they’re important to you, too.
Collaboration: We work together, share ideas and always make time to help each other out.
Leadership: Everyone has the chance to lead their own projects.
Excellence: Quality is central to our purpose. We love what we do, and it shows. We sweat the details. We see things through, no matter how tricky.
Agility: The world moves quickly. To keep up, we stay flexible – changing approaches, changing projects, working offline, online, together and alone to get things done.
Respect: A given, of course: we value each other and our clients. We listen, we understand, we care.
Responsibility: The decisions we make and advice we give affects people’s lives and livelihoods. We take that seriously and always do well by doing what’s right.
Share ideas and profits
Unlike most firms, we’re also a shared enterprise. So when the firm does well, everyone does well by taking home a share of the profits. Of course, to get those profits, we need to share ideas and share responsibility for our work, too.
Bring your whole self
Now you’ve seen our values, it shouldn’t be a surprise that we’re creating a respectful, open, diverse place to work. Building an inclusive culture, where we value difference and respect our colleagues, is not just the right thing to do, it helps our people to perform at the best of their ability and realise their potential.
“We are committed to making sure that the opportunities within our firm are equally accessible for everyone – regardless of background or gender.” Dave Dunckley, CEO
There’s more to life than work
Families, children, sports, night classes…the things you do and the people you’re with outside work matter. They can inspire, motivate and energise you. Inside the office and out. So if you’d like to work flexibly, let us know. We’re happy to look at flexible working options for all our roles, and we’ll always do our best to keep your work and life in balance.
View our video below to see what life is like at Grant Thornton.
Get similar jobs like these by email
By submitting your details you agree to our T&C's
Tax Advisory Manager
Manchester, Greater Manchester
£30000.00 - £45000.00 per annum + Study support
Audit Manager - Public Sector
Competitive + Benefits
Audit Assistant Manager - Public Sector
Competitive + Benefits
Corporate Tax Advisory Senior Manager / Associate Director
Corporate Tax Assistant Manager - Leading Advisory Firm
£40000 - £55000 per annum