£47,073 - 58,207 per year + up to £5,000 accountancy allowance
19 days ago
Building Digital UK (BDUK) is the Directorate within DCMS responsible for programmes delivering superfast and full fibre networks across the UK and is made up of a number of key programmes including: The £1.7bn Superfast Broadband Programme, The £5bn Gigabit Programme, The Local Full Fibre Networks Programme, Rural Gigabit Connectivity Programme and Shared Rural Network.
BDUK is using delivery experience and insight from its programmes to help develop the Government’s ambition to support gigabit-capable broadband to the hardest-to-reach areas of the UK as soon as possible, with a £5bn infrastructure programme.
This is an exciting opportunity for the Programme Finance Lead to play a key role in shaping the Government’s major programme agenda, placing finance at the heart of decision-making within the future of digital infrastructure delivery. You will lead on all aspects of finance in one or more major digital infrastructure delivery areas, providing a first point of contact for all financial queries, and taking the lead on financial decision-making across your area of expertise. Reporting to the BDUK Head of Finance, you will work closely with a broad stakeholder community, including HM Treasury, the DCMS community, BDUK and BDUK’s key delivery partners.
The responsibilities of the Programme Finance Lead will include;
- Working with BDUK Programme Director(s), BDUK finance team, and HM Treasury colleagues to develop the medium-term budget profiles required to successfully manage and deliver each programme, to secure the required funding and manage the spending for each of these
- Working with BDUK finance leads to identify and manage the operational financial risks at a portfolio level
- Providing the first point of contact for all financial issues arising under your programme of expertise, escalating as necessary through programme or financial decision-making routes where appropriate
- Monitoring and reporting actual expenditure against budgets and preparing monthly and quarterly reports on the programme’s overall financial and resourcing position
- Leading on the application of Grant Funding policies and procedures including the collation of evidence to support the authorisation of grant payments and ensuring the prompt payment of grant claims. The post holder will work closely with the Project Directors and others to refine procedures and resolve any issues which may arise
- Building and maintaining effective working relationships with BDUK programme teams and the central DCMS Finance Team, understanding each programme’s particular context and concerns and ensuring BDUK Finance strikes the right balance between proper accountability and supporting delivery
- Potential line management for Grade B and/or Grade C Finance staff
Key Skills & Experience;
- Accountancy qualification (CCAB or equivalent)
- Excellent leadership, collaboration and finance skills
- Excellent stakeholder management skills with the ability to build and sustain strong relationships with ministers and influence and negotiate on behalf of DCMS in a range of situations
- Experience or a strong understanding of government accounting and budgeting rules
- Good written and verbal communication skills with the ability to relay financial information effectively to non-financial colleagues
- The ability to prioritise competing demands effectively and deliver to deadlines, with the ability and willingness to work flexibly with “a can do” approach to tasks in a delivery focused and often ambiguous environment
- Advanced Excel / Google sheets experience
For more information on the Programme Finance Lead posts, please apply using the link, or contact Michael Swinburn or Jack White at our retained search agent, Robertson Bell.