SCOMIS is an award-winning ICT support service, operating as part of Devon County Council and trading nationwide. We have an exciting opportunity to join our team as a Principal Accountant (Commercial). We support over 800 schools, MATs, Federations and educational establishments across 59 Local Authorities from Cornwall to Redcar and Cleveland, along with providing internal ICT delivery to Devon County Council.
Our aim is to ensure that customers achieve effective and efficient use of ICT that delivers best value and ultimately, improved outcomes including school improvement; keeping vulnerable children safe; promoting health and wellbeing; delivering social care and a range of other local community services.
What we can offer you
Working for Devon County Council has all the benefits that you can expect from a large employer.
In return for the vital contribution that you make, we offer:
- 24.5 days annual leave per year (rising with length of service) plus Bank Holidays
- Membership of the Local Government Pension Scheme – more information can be found on the Peninsula Pensions website
- Access to our confidential Employee Assistance Programme – available 24/7 to support you with personal and work life
- Flexible working opportunities, including home-working (subject to the needs of the role)
- Discounts from local and high street retailers through the Devon Discounts scheme
Devon County Council is based in one of the most beautiful parts of the country, whether you like the sea, the countryside or the city, Devon is the place for you. We have a modern and vibrant workplace with flexible working opportunities.
Devon is an ACCA approved employer, CIMA premier partner and a CIPFA platinum accredited employer. We will support your professional studies and continuing professional development within a challenging but supportive environment.
About the role
Working within our Business Management and Service Performance team, the Principal Accountant (Commercial) will play a key role in ensuring that Scomis continues to flourish and grow within the local area and more widely across the UK by taking responsibility for financial management, accounting and reporting.
Reporting to the SCOMIS Head of Service, the Principal Accountant (Commercial) is responsible for leading, managing and providing an effective and independent professional financial support service with the following key objectives:
- develop and mature commercial accounting practices and appropriate management information which will enable services to function in a business environment.
- Ensure fiscal probity for DCC within statutory and local authority standards whilst providing accounting expertise in line with SCOMIS commercial objectives.
- The role is pivotal in ensuring systems and operations are kept in place for accurate financial reporting, forecasting, budget planning, and modelling.
A team player, you will be a professionally qualified accountant (CCAB), or have equivalent experience, with a proven track record in commercial management accounting, and the necessary technical and personal skills to build and maintain effective relationships. You will have a sound understanding of accounting principles, and the ability to organise and prioritise often conflicting workloads to achieve deadlines and other key outputs accurately and on time. You will be able to demonstrate excellent IT skills which will be fundamental to support and develop the financial systems and processes within the service, along with a good knowledge of Microsoft Office.
This is a full-time post (37 hours per week), based in our offices at Great Moor House in Exeter.
For an informal discussion please contact:
Debbie Foweraker (Head of Scomis Group),
Ben McGowan (Operations Manager for Scomis Group) or
Hilary Lloyd (Sales and Marketing Manager – Scomis Group)
Dial 01392 383000 and ask by name.