£800 - £900 per day
14 days ago
Interim Section 151 Officer/Executive Head of Finance
CIPFA or CCAB qualified accountant required
Surrey based Local Authority are looking to recruit an Interim Section 151 Officer/Executive Head of Finance on an ongoing Interim basis.
- Fulfils the Statutory Officer role of the Council's Section 151 Officer as determined by legislation and contained within the Council's Constitution protocol.
- Plays a full and active part in the corporate and strategic leadership of the Council through individual direction and membership of the senior management team.
- Leads future resource allocation and financial planning to achieve the Council's short-term and long-term goals.
- Provides high quality advice to the Council, it's Executive and it's supporting committees on all areas falling within the responsibilities of the relevant executive function and in the on-going development and delivery of Corporate and Community Plans and future strategic plans.
- Pro-actively participating in the corporate management of the Council by:
- Making an effective contribution to setting the strategic direction.
- Embedding the corporate strategic vision and shared understanding of the Council's key priorities within finance Services and promoting an effective performance led approach.
- Fostering a culture which sets goals, develops staff to their full potential and values individual contribution.
- Taking personal responsibility for appropriate key corporate tasks and delivery of key projects.
- Developing and sustaining positive working relationships with elected members and portfolio holders to ensure that service priorities are effectively implemented and that Members are able to undertake their strategic monitoring role, having full trust and confidence in officer advice.
- Where appropriate, participating in, and supporting the Chief Executive as necessary in the event of a civil emergency, maintaining a full understanding of the responsibilities set out in the Council's Emergency Plan. Undertaking a specific strategic role in the Emergency Plan, if requested to do so by the Chief Executive.
- Provides pro-active and effective leadership of Finance Services, ensuring that all of its resources are aligned to the delivery of strategic objectives.
- Acts as the decision maker for all matters which are within budget and policy guidelines. Refers only matters which are complex/strategic to the Chief Executive or Corporate Management Team.
- Sets clear aims and objectives for Finance Services to review performance and implement corrective action to ensure delivery of key objectives.
- Takes an innovative approach to decision making and problem solving, ensuring that resources, outline proposals and projects are developed, implemented and delivered effectively.
- Leads, supports and motivates managers and staff during periods of change.
- Ensures the Council continues to maintain effective Corporate Governance, that actions and transactions remain lawful, that the Council is effectively personally advised on its financial position and that a pro-active management audit service is maintained to support managers in their activities.
- Personally liaises with the Council's External Auditors in all matters to ensure the most effective relationship with them.
- Supports Human Resources in ensuring that the council demonstrates through its Human Resources Policies that it is a cost-effective and respected employer which positively demonstrates equality of opportunity to all.
- Initiates proposals for the development of services within the relevant executive function, ensuring their relevance through consultation with the Chief Executive and Elected Members.
- Ensures services are innovative, quality driven, and responsive to client needs, meet Community and Performance plan objectives and are delivered efficiently and effectively.
- Manages and participates in the appointment, development, appraisal and discipline in Financial Services, as appropriate.
- Able to demonstrate commercial awareness and acumen.
- Proven ability to manage complex change and major improvement projects.
- Ability to communicate effectively through all mediums and demonstrate high quality negotiating and advocacy skills.
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to liaise and develop significant business partnerships.
- Experience and a proven track record of achievement at senior management level in a local authority or other complex organisations e.g. Head of Service or Director.
- Proven ability to communicate with Councillors, customers, staff and external contacts.
- Demonstrable ability to build and maintain relationships with Members of the Public and other stakeholders.
- Proven ability to work successfully in public and private partnerships.
- Demonstrable innovation and entrepreneurial attributes.
- Experience of developing innovative and cost effective solutions in challenging economic conditions.
- Proven ability in budgetary management.
- Understanding of financial management information to ensure that there are effective and appropriate arrangements for cost and budgetary control.
Part home working part office based opportunity
Chance to work for a well respected Local Authority
Generous benefits and daily rate
On going Interim assignment