Interim Project Accountant
|Job Title:||Interim Project Accountant|
|Salary:||£16.00 - £18.00 per hour|
|Contact Name:||William Plom|
|Job Published:||March 10, 2020 10:43|
Your new company
Hays are currently recruiting for an evolving public sector client based in the heart of Norwich. We are looking for an enthusiastic and adaptable individual to support during a busy transition period of around 2-3 months initially.
Your new role
Your key responsibilities will be to:
- Co-ordinate the execution of budgetary control and monitoring by Services and provide budgetary and financial advice to budget managers within agreed time limits and service standards with regards to the project.
- Develop a good working relationship with, and to provide significant support, guidance and advice to, budget managers to assist in the delivery of value for money in the respective services.
- Be proactive in the support given to Heads of Service in the preparation of the business plan and Target Operating model including adhering to strict deadlines. Co-ordinate the preparation of budgets, including any related holding accounts whilst adhering to procedural deadlines.
- Attend project team meetings to provide financial support & advice on current & developing issues and to report the current financial position of the project at any given time during the financial year.
- Analyse and review the financial aspects and implications of decision making reports prepared by Heads of Service and Directors for the Executive and make recommendations accordingly.
- Design & produce financial reports in order to ascertain current financial position.
- To provide financial data required by Services in order for budgets to be effectively managed & controlled.
- Maintain an up-to-date knowledge of financial accounting and reporting standards in order to perform job requirements and support the Finance Control Manager by undertaking research into, and examination of, financial aspects of new / proposed legislation.
- Liaise with other internal services (including Members) and outside agencies, including Government Departments.
- Advise on value for money issues.
- Authorisation of financial transactions where necessary.
This is a full time post working 37 hours a week between Monday and Friday
What you'll need to succeed
- Fully qualified AAT or the equivalent
- Fully or part qualified CCAB Accountant or CIPFA Accountant or equivalent
- Commitment to continuous professional development
- Working within an accountancy environment
- Use of Financial Management Systems
- Of providing financial advice to management
- A sound understanding of local authority finance, budget production and management accountancy.
- A proven record of success in financial administration and a clear understanding of budget control systems
- A sound and up-to-date knowledge of financial accounting standards and legislation
- Understanding of financial governance arrangements applicable to Local Authorities
- To use range of standard IT packages and systems effectively (Word, Outlook, Access)
- To use Financial Systems packages & systems effectively (Oracle, Discoverer or equivalent)
- Have an advanced capability in the use MS Excel in order to plan, manage and manipulate budget information.
- Deputise for the Financial Control Management where appropriate including the Head of Finance.
- To produce a high standard of accounts and budgetary information necessary for effective and prudential operation of the council and services.
- Ability to communicate complex financial information clearly to the full range of budget holders
- To develop a full understanding of the financial management processes (within 3 months of taking up post) of the service(s) being supported.
- Review and appraise the financial implications of management proposals (as submitted in report format)
- To advise and assist Heads of Service and budget holders on value for money issues.
- To be able to assess and advise on capital investment appraisals
- To contribute to the medium term financial strategy process.
- Excellent written, oral & graphical skills, including report writing, chart construction & the presentation of financial information to internal & external bodies
- Project management skills with regards to calculating project costs & the financial implications of the project with follow up action & recommendations to be made
- Analyse, assess & interpret complex financial data
- Carry out authorising duties as specified by the Head of Service
- Prioritise workload, manage time/other resources & meet tight deadlines
- Maintain high level of confidentiality
What you need to do now
If you're interested in this role, click 'apply now' to forward an up-to-date copy of your CV, or call us now.
If this job isn't quite right for you but you are looking for a new position, please contact us for a confidential discussion on your career.
Get similar jobs like these by email
By submitting your details you agree to our T&C's
Interim Financial Accountant
£300.00 - £350.00 per day
Principal Accountant - Interim
Interim Programme Finance Manager
Leeds, West Yorkshire
£45000 - £53000 per annum
£42k - 45k per year