Independent Audit and Risk Assurance Committee Member
|Job Title:||Independent Audit and Risk Assurance Committee Member|
|Salary:||£5000 per annum|
|Job Published:||March 10, 2020 10:19|
About the Audit and Risk Committee
The Audit and Risk Assurance Committee (ARAC) is a sub-committee of the MHCLG Ministerial Board. It reviews assurances on governance, risk, internal control and integrity of accounting and reporting procedures. It is responsible for assessing and assuring the department’s overall risk management framework and for ensuring financial propriety. The Committee gives independent advice to the Accounting Officer on the adequacy of audit arrangements (internal and external) and on the assurances received on the existence and effectiveness of systems for accountability and control in the organisation.
The ARAC is also responsible for maintaining oversight of the arrangements put in place for risk, control and governance of the non-departmental public bodies and other arm’s length bodies of MHCLG, particularly those which contribute to the Department’s consolidated Group accounts.
The ARAC meets five times per year and members participate in annual Governance Assurance Panels to review in depth the adequacy of governance in the department.
About The Role
To support our work, MHCLG is seeking to appoint an Independent Member of the Audit and Risk Assurance Committee (ARAC). The ideal candidate should have significant experience in financial risk and performance management, accountancy expertise, and, ideally, a background in the finance sector.
The role of Independent ARAC Members is to:
- Understand the Department’s strategic aims and objectives and support the MHCLG Ministerial Board to successfully deliver these objectives.
- Contribute impartial advice on the adequacy of assurances given on financial and risk management, internal controls, internal and external audit arrangements and on any implications for corporate governance.
- Constructively challenge the assurances provided to the MHCLG Ministerial Board and draw on ways in which those assurances could be developed from their own professional background.
- Attend approximately 10 days per year, including 5 ARAC meetings, Governance Assurance Panels, ad hoc meetings, and reading the papers in preparation for those meetings.
- Act in accordance with the Seven Principles of Public Life
- Board-level experience of sound financial risk and performance management – approving and scrutinising the allocation of resources to achieve plans using clear, consistent and comparable performance information;
- A good understanding of the role of audit and other controls in the government sphere;
- A broad understanding of the sectors in which the department operates and its key partners – the individual may have acquired this knowledge at a senior level in either the public, private or voluntary sectors;
- An enthusiasm for, and a desire to support, the successful delivery of the MHCLG core agenda (housing, local and regional economic growth, building safety and local government);
- An engaging and collaborative working style with the ability to adapt to a range of partners; and
- A professional accountancy qualification such as CIPFA, CIMA, ICAEW, ACCA or ICAS.
- A financial services / banking background.
How to Apply
To apply for this role please supply the following materials by 11.00pm on Thursday 26 March 2020.
Part 1: Curriculum Vitae – max. 2 pages.
Part 2: Covering Letter – Explaining how you meet the Selection Criteria – max. 3 pages.
Part 3: Online Monitoring Forms – Diversity Monitoring Questions, Guaranteed Interview Scheme, Conflict of Interest, Other Relevant Information (see below).
We cannot accept information and forms submitted with previous applications because your circumstances may have changed. Your application will be acknowledged by the Public Appointments Team. You are also required to complete the Online Monitoring and Supporting Information forms – links to these forms are provided below. We are unable to accept any applications/ online forms submitted after the closing date
Guidance that will assist with the completion of the Conflicts of Interest declaration is attached below.
Get similar jobs like these by email
By submitting your details you agree to our T&C's
Head of Internal Audit (Apply to hear of roles when they arise)
Risk Manager roles- Apply to hear of opportunities
Internal Audit Manager/Senior Manager (Apple to hear of roles)
Data Analytics Manager
Newcastle upon Tyne
Data Analytics Manager
62,755 - 81,847