In-House VAT Manager
|Job Title:||In-House VAT Manager|
|Location:||City of London, London|
|Salary:||£65000.00 - £75000.00 per annum + Bonus + benefits|
|Contact Name:||Alex Stirling|
|Job Published:||September 06, 2019 14:20|
Your new company
I'm working with a leading insurance business that is looking to recruit a VAT Manager for the Groups Tax Team.
Your new role
As the VAT Manager within a small tax team your key responsibilities will include:
- To ensure that the groups UK Tax Policy is adhered to in respect of indirect taxes including ensuring the group fulfils its filing and payment obligations in all indirect tax matters.
- To maximise the opportunities for creating indirect tax efficiencies where they are compatible with the groups tax strategy.
- To manage risk by maintaining good working relationship with HMRC and by keeping close links with the business to identify at an early stage any areas of concern.
- To act as an advisor and partner to the business units on indirect tax matters.
- To maintain oversight of international indirect tax matters and advise where appropriate.
- Group VAT compliance, i.e. ensuring that all Group companies comply with their quarterly VAT return and payment obligations. This also extends to ensuring that the VAT group is kept up-to-date for new acquisitions and disposals / liquidations.
- VAT accounting. This involves ensuring that the group correctly budgets for and accounts for VAT.
- Primary contact within the business and with third parties for indirect tax issues.
- Managing process improvements, including automation of compliance and ensuring best use of existing or new technology solutions where possible and appropriate.
- Providing advice, training, presentations to the business where required.
- Building and maintaining relationships with advisers, other brokers and insurers as required.
- Assisting Co-head of Tax with maintaining a good working relationship with HMRC.
- Dealing with indirect tax audits, correspondence and notices from HMRC.
- Reviewing changes in the legislation and outcomes of cases to ensure the business correctly accounts for indirect taxes and achieves all benefits attainable.
- Communicate key VAT and operational tax issues clearly and concisely to non-tax specialists.
- Be pro-active in identifying and evaluating key indirect tax risks and opportunities within the group, ensuring effective risk management processes and controls are operated by the business,
- Responsible for the indirect taxes sign-off at a standard akin to Senior Accounting Officer requirements.
- Assisting and advising overseas offices, where appropriate, with local indirect tax matters.
- Visits to other UK and overseas offices to provide indirect tax advice and assistance/training as and when required.
- Contribute indirect tax comments as part of any overall tax advice provided to any stakeholders, e.g. in respect of taxes on projects/acquisitions & disposals.
- Provide indirect tax updates to the Co-head of Tax as and when required.
- To work with a significant degree of autonomy, subject to briefing the Co-head of Tax on all significant indirect tax issues as they arise.
- Determine the appropriate use of external advisers to ensure business needs are being met.
- Attendance at relevant external events provided by industry bodies and external advisers.
- Other ad-hoc indirect tax project work.
What you'll need to succeed
To be considered for the role you are likely to be ACA / ACCA / CTA qualified with either professional services or in-house experience. Insurance experience would be advantageous but not essential.
Get similar jobs like these by email
By submitting your details you agree to our T&C's
External Reporting Manager - Solvency II / IFRS
ACA Audit & Accounts Manager / Potential Director
City of London, London
£350.00 - £400.00 per day
Finance Business Partner
City of London, London
£60000.00 - £70000.00 per annum + bonus and benefits
Senior Internal Auditor job - Insurance - London
£55000.00 - £70000.00 per annum