27 days ago
Hays Senior Finance
A VAT Director is needed to take over responsibility for the European VAT process
Your new company
This is a highly successful and rapidly growing organisation with an exciting future that you can be part of. If you are a senior VAT Manager who is in a role with no progression and you are excited by a changing, growing environment where you can make a fast impact then this could be the company for you.
The company needs a VAT Director to take over responsibility for the European VAT process. The role is based in Lancashire and is mainly office based with the option to work from home once a week. You will report into the Head of Tax. The successful candidate will be responsible for the submission of the European VAT returns, managing new and existing VAT audits, providing VAT advice in respect of acquisitions and identifying VAT opportunities within the group. You will have oversight of all of the group's VAT affairs and will need to proactively identify controls and process improvements, as well as utilising technology to provide future efficiency benefits and compliance with MTD.
Your new role
- Responsible for all aspects of VAT across the UK and Europe including managing internally prepared VAT returns and intrastat returns throughout Europe
- Working with local tax contacts to lead VAT audits and identify process improvements
- Developing and maintaining standardised VAT processes and controls across the Group
- Helping the Head of Tax and existing team manage relationships with external advisors and HMRC
- Providing indirect tax input on M&A work including due diligence and transition of businesses into existing VAT groups
- Dealing with tax queries from the business, other areas of finance and the legal team
- Identifying relevant VAT opportunities and pro-actively driving these
- Maintaining a detailed, up to date technical knowledge in all indirect tax related areas
- Implementing systems improvements to ensure compliance with MTD and to improve efficiency, in particular in respect to current SAP4HANA implementation
- Developing and managing the VAT assistant who will report to the successful candidate
- Organisational skills
- Ability to prioritise
- Understanding of SAP systems
- Strong European VAT technical knowledge
- Strong communication skills (verbal and written)
- Ability to adapt and respond to changing priorities
- Commercial awareness
- Integrity and trust
- Team work
What you'll need to succeed
The ideal candidate will be ACA/CTA qualified with VAT experience gained in a Big 4 accountancy firm, as well as some in house VAT experience within a multinational group. The candidate will have a dedicated direct report (VAT Assistant) who will assist with the day to day data collection, allowing the VAT Director to have more of a review role and focus on value added tasks. You will also work closely with existing in country tax resources as well as the country finance teams
What you'll get in return
This is a rapidly growing organisation with an exciting future. This role is suited to a senior manager who is looking to expand and develop in their role and grow with the organisation. Every year will bring more change, process improvement and acquisitions.The benefits are many including bonus, private health, pension, 25 days holidays plus bank holidays, onsite canteen, modern offices and free parking.
What you need to do now
If you're interested in this role, click 'apply now' to forward an up-to-date copy of your CV, or call us now.
If this job isn't quite right for you but you are looking for a new position, please contact us for a confidential discussion on your career.