Head of Investment
|Job Title:||Head of Investment|
|Salary:||£69,012 - £79,026|
|Job Published:||May 17, 2019 13:38|
Opportunity to Lead Investments at one of the UK’s largest Pension Funds, broaden your horizons and make a real difference
This is a rare opportunity to join one of the largest and most progressive pension funds in the UK at an exciting time in its development. It’s no secret that leading an investment function is demanding, requiring a range of skills across most finance and investment disciplines but it is also one of the most interesting and rewarding career move, providing an opportunity to excel and truly stand out and deliver excellence through application of your expertise and collaborative leadership.
The West Midlands Pension Fund provides Local Government Pension Scheme services to over 320,000 members and more than 670 employers across the West Midlands region. It is one of the largest Local Government Pension Funds in England and Wales, employing 145 FTE members of staff and as at 31 March 2019, the Fund was valued at close to £16 billion.
As Fund assets grow and our approach to implementing investment strategy continues to evolve, our investment team is expanding - we are seeking a Head of Investments to take up a new and unique role, working across the Fund asset base, from developing strategy and policy to overseeing implementation. West Midlands Pension Fund is determined to produce world class investment performance with managed risk including engaging and investing within a responsible investment framework. We invite you to be part of an industry leader on cost transparency and approach to responsible investment.
You will have the appetite and desire to influence both within and outside of the organisation. You will grow to be a trusted and respected leader in your field with an ambitious and aspirational drive to deliver and demonstrate outstanding results, especially to those who underwrite the Fund. You will have the opportunity to work with a wide range of senior industry professionals, lead a small and developing team and shape services and products developed by our jointly owned investment management company, LGPS Central Ltd.
You will lead a partnership approach to delivery, focused on being “best in class” in all that we do. We do not expect candidates to be an expert in all areas of skill that are needed for this role and that is why you will work closely with the Director of Pensions and Assistant Director, Investments and Finance together with our partners in an open and collaborative environment.
The areas of work covered include:
- Input to strategic asset allocation, informed by investment knowledge, portfolio positioning, integrating responsible investment principles; an appreciation of pension liabilities and a knowledge of macro-economic theory, conscious of history and potential future scenarios;
- Managing and overseeing a range of asset classes, including: UK, Global, Emerging Market, active and passive listed equity; portfolio of private equity; direct and indirect infrastructure investments; direct and indirect property; insurance linked securities; debt including bonds, gilts, treasuries, multi-asset credit and emerging market debt;
- Lead Internal Investment team and reporting to Pensions Committee, and other investment governance committees;
- Manage a team of 10 covering all aspects of investment management and investment finance including cost transparency and reporting
- Day to day implementation of investment decisions, risk management and cashflow projection and monitoring
- Assume responsibility for a number of complex asset classes and provide support, guidance and mentoring to others on the investment team
You’ll be financially astute, tenacious and politically sensitive, you’ll have the credibility and communication skills to excel with our workforce and partners, to ensure that all West Midlands authorities are able to benefit from your contribution to the Fund.
If you have a track record of achievement and innovative working in investment management or consultancy inside or outside the public sector and are interesting to taking the opportunity to move to a new and developing in-house role, we look forward to hearing from you.
Interviews will be taking place on 18th June 2019
Get similar jobs like these by email
By submitting your details you agree to our T&C's