Head of Finance
|Job Title:||Head of Finance|
|Salary:||Up to £90,000 + car cash allowance|
|Job Published:||September 25, 2019 15:13|
We're the charity who look after and bring to life 2,000 miles of waterways across England and Wales, because we believe that life is better by water. Every role across the Trust plays it's part in transforming our canals and rivers into spaces where local people want to spend time and feel better, bringing wellbeing benefits to millions.
The role of Head of Finance is to lead and co-ordinate the production of all group financial reporting (statutory accounts, monthly management accounts, forecasts, business planning and KPIs) and financial board reporting ensuring the information is timely, clear, accurate and insightful.
You will identify areas for changes in the finance function and processes to improve the quality and usefulness of financial information, as well as the function's efficiency and effectiveness.
This role reports directly to the Finance Director, has 4 direct reports managing a wider functional team of 33 employees & direct budget control of £2m.
- Production of group annual report and accounts for approval at the Board
- Production of group management accounts and draft Board paper presenting clarity on performance for non-financial people to understand
- Control of headcount, operational capital and total spend data
- Provision of information from ERP system (SAP), including its provision for use in business intelligence systems
- Compliance with highly technical accounting and charity regulations
- Ensure overall financial integrity of the accounts and balance sheet controls
- Display the Trust values and behaviours at all times.
- Ensure that diversity and inclusion are integrated into all aspects of Trust life and promote inclusion by challenging behaviour, practices, actions, or decisions that are counter to the objectives of the Trust’s policies and values.
Knowledge, Skills/Qualifications & Experience
The successful individual will work to build relationships with others, engage others in dialogue through the sharing of information. Creating an environment which people feel they are understood and appreciated. Engaging groups, by bringing people together creating teams and individuals who are empowered to deliver. Successful in managing people through aspects of change.
- Chartered Accountant (CA, ACA or ACCA equivalent) with post qualified experience, to ensure up-to-date knowledge of accounting standards and reporting
- Educated to degree level or higher with an excellent level of written English for report writing and production of accounts commentaries;
- Extensive experience in large complex organisation
- Experience of establishing and sustaining a continuous improvement culture and knowledge of Lean or similar methodologies to improve the quality of financial processes.
- Experience of SAP and charity accounting experience is desirable
- Strong leadership skills with evidence of motivating and developing professional and non-professional teams to high levels of performance
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to translate complex information so understood by non-financial people
- Excellent spreadsheet modelling skills
- Strong interpersonal skills able to demonstrate delivery through others outside of direct control
- Excellent customer service skills able to create a team culture which delivers customer satisfaction
- Experience of charity law requirements and charity regulations is desirable, but not essential
What We Offer
We are one of the UK's largest charities and with a proud heritage and an ambitious plan for the future. Joining the Trust you can be part of shaping that future bringing wellbeing to our communities, and ensuring that life is better by water.
This is a Senior Manager position at the Trust, offering a competitive salary of up to £90,000 for an exceptional candidate.
In addition to your annual salary, we also offer a competitive contributory DC Pension scheme arrangement, Private Medical cover, Car Cash allowance, increasing annual leave with years of service and numerous other employee benefits, offering a generous total compensation package. Further details can be found here.
We are striving to represent the diverse communities that we are a part of. All candidates will be treated on the basis of their merits, skills and abilities and solely by being assessed against the requirements for the job. Many of our vacancies can be considered for people who wish to work flexibly, job share or part time.
Get similar jobs like these by email
By submitting your details you agree to our T&C's
Head of Finance
£43000 - £45000 per annum
Commercial Head of Finance
£50000 - £60000 per annum
Head of Finance
Up to £70,000
Head of Finance
Up to £45000 per annum + excellent benefits
Head of Finance Business Partnering
£61000 - £67000 per annum