£50,345 - £57,917 per year + £4,000 Accountancy Allowance
24 days ago
Closing Date: 2nd August 2020
The Department for Digital, Culture, Media & Sport (DCMS) is at the heart of the government’s economic and social agendas. A quarter of UK businesses are in our sectors and are among the most exciting and fastest growing of the whole economy. They provide 5.2 million jobs and deliver £38bn worth of exports. Our mission is to drive growth, enrich lives and promote Britain to the world.
Working in conjunction with our over 40 Arm’s Length Bodies we strive to create the conditions for everyone to enjoy our national culture, play sport, make the most of new technologies and have access to effective communications. Our sectors are critical to ensuring we have a strong place in the world - creating a global UK whose cultural, technological, creative, community and sporting assets mark us out as an essential partner for trade and investment. And making places that people want to live in, work in, invest in and visit.
The Management Accounting & Internal Reporting team is a key central function within the DCMS Finance team. The role will be responsible for leading on the delivery of the DCMS group Estimates and for maintaining and managing the Department’s funding position. They will work closely with the Corporate Reporting Manager and Finance Business Partnering teams to ensure that the net expenditure of DCMS and its family of ALBs are successfully managed within the annual DEL budgets set by the Treasury and voted for its use by Parliament.
This post would suit an individual interested in group financial management with a wide span and opportunity to influence. The role provides high exposure to senior management as well as HM Treasury. This would be a great role for a qualified accountant wishing to take on a challenging and high-profile role within a central finance team.
Key responsibilities include:
- Planning of the timetable and coordination of the Main and Supplementary Estimates and Vote on Account across the Finance Team.
- Working with the Business Partnering Teams to ensure full, timely, accurate and well-justified funding submissions for the Estimates. This covers figures and narrative support for all proposed funding changes from the core Department and c.45 Arm’s Length Bodies.
- Consolidation of the Estimates funding requests. Identification of resolution of potential issues with Finance colleagues and HM Treasury.
- Preparation of submissions and other reports on the Estimates for HM Treasury, the Finance Director, Permanent Secretary and Secretary of State.
- Lead on the virement process for the year end accounts, obtaining clearance from Senior Management and HM Treasury as appropriate.
- Maintain ownership of the DCMS Funding Tracker, which is the Department’s single source of truth for the Department’s funding and delegations to Arm’s Length Bodies, ensuring it is fully reconciled to the Estimates.
The successful candidate will demonstrate the following:
- Fully qualified CCAB or CIMA accountant
- Highly organised and methodical
- Excellent spreadsheet skills
- Adept at working collaboratively with a range of stakeholders including senior management
- Good knowledge of central government accounting and budgeting rules (desirable)
- Experience designing and delivering training (desirable)
For more information on the key responsibilities and tasks, please apply using the link for the full candidate pack, or contact Michael Swinburn or Stuart Thomson at our retained search agent, Robertson Bell.