£85000.00 - £90000.00 per annum + + benefits
21 days ago
Hays Senior Finance
Group Tax Manager role with global design & engineering business. Based Teddington. Part Time considered.
Your new company
Your new company is a is a leading global business specialising in design, engineering, science and risk management.
Your new role
The group has a rich heritage and many complex and interesting tax issues, some of which are sector unique and/or residual from the days when enjoyed tax-free status. The business has recently recognised the need to develop in-house tax expertise, partly in response to new and increased regulation such as IR35, OECD BEPS, Criminal Finances Act 2017 and Senior Accounting Officer compliance and partly as a result of inadvertently created tax issues.
During the initial period through 31 December 2021 the role holder will be required to address legacy tax issues such as overseas permanent establishments, the rationalisation of material long-standing cross-border intercompany balances, the recovery of significant tax debtors in the U.K. and U.S., documentation of the Group's Transfer Pricing policies, Group Structure optimisation, development of a tax section within the Bid process and tax oversight of 30 September 2021 year-end.
This will be at the sole direction of the Group Financial Controller. Thereafter, it is envisaged the role holder will become an integral member of the company's finance leadership community, responsible for determining, implementing, and monitoring the Group's tax strategy and mitigating tax risk whilst maximising tax opportunity for the group.
The role holder will be responsible for ensuring the group complies with the tax laws of all jurisdictions in which it operates globally. This will include ensuring all tax returns are filed and payments made in a timely and accurate manner and keeping the business abreast of relevant tax legislative changes. Should disputes with tax authorities arise, the role holder will be expected to resolve these in as expedient a manner as possible.
The Group Tax Manager will work with businesses, service providers, and other tax professionals in carrying out his or her responsibilities and will work collaboratively with the group's financial management and third-party service providers. The role holder will use appropriate professional judgement to determine when it is necessary to discharge their responsibilities via other third-party tax professionals and other such advisors. On an ongoing basis, the role holder will contribute to the development of effective financial systems, policies and procedures and provide professional advice to the CFO/DCFO, the ExCo, the Finance community and the internal management organisations as appropriate.
Responsibilities and Tasks:
- A member of the Finance leadership team, working with the CFO/DCFO to develop, implement and monitor adherence to the groups taxation strategy
- Support the CFO/DCFO in developing effective systems, policies and procedures to ensure that sound management of the group's tax affairs is central to the organisation
- Liaise with external professionals as necessary to ensure best practice is implemented and technical compliance is achieved, including auditors, tax advisers, actuaries, banks and other regulatory bodies
- Management of the group's effective tax rate ensuring all available reliefs are maximised and the group operates and invests in a tax efficient manner
- Ensuring new ERP is compliant with tax legislation in the UK and assist the overseas finance teams with ensuring local compliance
- Responsible for oversight of income tax return completion including all related analysis and support, and oversight of the tax returns for the group's international subsidiaries
- Responsible for oversight of accounting for income taxes in the UK and international subsidiaries, including coordination with third party professional advisors where applicable for international subsidiaries
- Oversight of employment tax, VAT and with-holding tax matters, including coordination with third party professional advisors where applicable for UK and international subsidiaries
- Oversight of UK VAT returns, where data is collated by finance teams and reviewed by tax manager
- Responsible for all aspects of the group's transfer pricing policies and group management fee arrangements
- Support bid tender processes, contracts and regulatory & compliance programmes, as required, to meet the demands of the group
- Support the group's internal and external M&A strategy, to include assisting the CFO/DCFO and Group FC with financial assessments and tax implications, and contributing to a generic 'checklist' template to assure operational efficiency
- Contributes to the company's audit processes, assisting in the development and testing of appropriate financial internal controls, specifically responsible for ensuring that appropriate internal controls are in place over accounting for income taxes and providing support to internal and external tax audits
- Liaise with the CFO/DCFO, Group FC, the ExCo and the broader Finance community in taxation matters and acting as the focal point for interpretation and implementation of the group's taxation systems, policy and process, providing proactive and timely advice
- Support the parent company's Finance Business Partner and the Group Financial Controller in tax related statutory accounting and assisting the Head of Cash and Treasury in estimating and monitoring annual cash taxes
- Support tax related aspects of the organisations 'Finance Academy' training programme, designing and rolling out as appropriate to upskill the global Finance community
- Promote the company's positive, professional ethos including its people's health, safety and morale
- Promote the group across group companies by being an active member of the group finance community
- Maintain knowledge of relevant accounting, tax and governance requirements, where necessary, discharging this responsibility through active partnerships with UK and overseas professional tax advisors
- In addition to these duties the post holder may be required to carry out such other duties as may reasonably be required, from time to time, to achieve the above job purpose.
What you'll need to succeed
Key Knowledge, Experience and Skills:
- A qualified tax professional (ACA, CTA or equivalent)
- Big 4 / Top 10 Exposure and Experience is beneficial and/or experienced in an in-house tax team of a global business, with hands on broad taxation experience in UK corporation tax, R&D tax credit and Patent Box claims, employment tax/mobility and VAT governance, controls and compliance, Criminal Finances Act 2017 and Making Tax Digital
- Proven track record in UK tax compliance matters with a good working knowledge of the major tax issues faced within the corporate environment
- International tax experience also required, with experience of with-holding taxes and transfer pricing
- Experience of liaising with tax authorities and involvement in tax audits
- Experience of relevant consulting or services business
- Experience of establishing joint ventures, mergers and acquisitions
- Experience of implementing an ERP system or financial system an advantage
- Strong interpersonal skills and excellent communication in all its forms, knowing the right form for each occasion
- Emotional intelligence, diplomacy, tact, influencing and negotiating skills
- Strategic and logical thinking
- Self-starter and ability to constructively challenge
- Ability to work autonomously and multi-task
- Respecter and upholder of the group's unique ethos, founded as an employee benefit trust
- Ready to be a team player in the finance team and the group's senior leadership team
- Must have a hands-on approach and demonstrated success in working in a team-based environment