Group Financial Accountant
|Job Title:||Group Financial Accountant|
|Salary:||£50000 - £55000 per annum + 18% Pension|
|Contact Name:||Freddie Boath|
|Job Published:||April 27, 2019 12:01|
We are proud to be working together with the University of Reading on an exciting opportunity that has arisen in the Finance Function for a Group Financial Accountant. The role represents a rare opportunity for a suitable candidate to step into a key management role within the University's finance function.
The University of Reading is ranked within the top 200 universities worldwide with 94% of graduates in work or further study within six months of graduating. They are a long standing and prestigious organisation that takes pride in its ability to provide top standard education & training whilst also striving to be a valuable contribution to the local community. The University has three beautiful UK campuses, with the Whiteknights campus winning awards for its green, open spaces making it a great place to work.
Reporting into the Financial Controller, you will be responsible for the production of the University's consolidated financial statements and overseeing the preparation of the UK subsidiary and trust accounts. This would incorporate the coordination of the strategic report, accounts and supporting notes.
The role would ideally suit a qualified accountant with strong technical accounting knowledge, including knowledge of Higher Education SORP. Experience of complex group consolidations, including overseas subsidiaries, is highly desirable and excellent knowledge of current accounting developments is necessary.
Strong communication and leadership skills are needed as the Group Financial Accountant will be responsible for a team of four direct reports including two Financial Accountants, a Capital Accountant and a Technical Accounting Assistant. You will be required to lead the team so it can provide strong technical financial accounting support to the wider organisation. You are expected to work closely with the Financial Planning and Strategy team in the production of management and other reports and ensure the period end and year end routines are successfully followed and implemented. A desire to continuously improve processes and drive change across the function is also required as they further look to improve the service they provide.
Other key responsibilities for the Group Financial Accountant includes:
- Liaising with external auditors, ensuring the smooth planning and coordination of the year end process
- Provide technical accounting guidance to senior colleagues and the wider university
- Ensure all fixed asset accounting and reporting is accurately and efficiently produced on a timely basis
- Ensuring all control accounts are reconciled at each period end and any queries investigated
- Ensuring the correct accounting and treatment of all transactions involving intercompany, endowment and trust activities
- Lead on the preparation of the University's TRAC return, ensuring compliance to regulations. Assist with feeding the TRAC outputs into the University planning and decision making process
- Ensure all other regulatory reporting (OfS etc) is accurate and produced in a timely manner
- Produce balance sheet forecasts and assist in the production of the University cash flow forecasts and tax returns.
- Ensure the accounting policies adopted by the University are optimal for its reporting
- Ensure all guidance and web site material is relevant and up to date at all times
- Assist with driving improvements across the whole finance function, working closely with the Finance Senior Management Team
The ideal candidate will:
- Hold a CCAB accounting qualification
- Have demonstrable experience of strong technical accounting practice
- Able to communicate well at every level of employment
- Have strong system and IT skills
- Be able to operate autonomously and lead the technical Finance team in delivering a high level of service to the larger organisation
- Have demonstrable experience of managing a team or extensive mentoring skills
The University of Reading is offering a competitive salary and benefits package as well as the less tangible benefit of an internal ethos that focuses on the development and training of their staff.
Get similar jobs like these by email
By submitting your details you agree to our T&C's
Interim Financial Accountant
£200.00 - £220.00 per day
Financial Accountant (Reporting)
£35000.00 - £50000.00 per annum + pension + holidays
£15.00 - £22.00 per hour
£60000.00 - £65000.00 per annum + excellent benefits