£37,300 - 40,248 per year + up to £5,000 accountancy allowance
18 days ago
Salary – £37,300 – £40,248 + (Up to) £5,000 Accountancy Allowance
The Government Property Agency (GPA) was launched as an Executive Agency of the Cabinet Office in 2018. The GPA represents a step change in the way that Government property estate and assets are managed efficiently, by providing innovative and flexible solutions across the Government estate. The GPA is expected to grow exponentially over the first few years of its existence; this equates to transferring hundreds of assets (worth billions of pounds) onto its balance sheet from Government Departments, as well as gaining responsibility for the running of a large part of the central government office estate.
The GPA offer flexible working with the ability to work from home with occasional travel required to the Birmingham office.
The Financial Modeller will be responsible for the content, quality and structure of all financial analysis prepared by the GPA for internal use and for third parties. Output will include undertaking analysis for the Economic and Financial Case sections of the GPA’s business cases for real-estate acquisition/re-location, drafting business case content for the same sections, GPA portfolio valuation, data analysis and reporting.
The responsibilities of the Financial Modeller will include
- Supporting internal and external stakeholders with the development of modelling behind business cases (Financial and Economic Analysis).
- The modeller will be responsible for technical modelling by developing/ enhancing options analysis models that will evaluate the financial and economic outcomes for various options and reflect the impact of decisions for the business case(s).
- Support decisions by building models that reflect forecast cash flows, NPVs, balance sheet impact from decisions such as leasehold vs freehold.
- The role is for technical modelling and the modeller will not own the assumptions but rather assist in gathering and updating them from a technical perspective.
- Liaise with stakeholders from across GPA to gather and challenge assumptions, improve the accuracy of the models, discover new data sources and get the maximum impact with end users.
- Ensure that models are robust and effective and follow best practice modelling techniques. Highlight modelling risks as appropriate.
- Stay informed of the ways the organization uses its data and modelling best practices.
- Sense-check data and weed out outliers or seek clarifications on data that looks inconsistent. Flag data problems noted to the source.
- Ensure that the required outputs are produced completely and highlight all assumptions/ exceptions made.
- Produce monthly KPI reporting for the board performance report.
Key Skills & Experience
- Technical excel skills with knowledge of best practice modelling techniques
- Corporate Finance, Financial and operational modelling
- Manage and develop models efficiently, allied with a strong appreciation for the appropriate analytical techniques which can be employed to provide robust analyses at pace.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills to articulate complex data challenges in simple language and to produce drafts of the financial case of complex projects.
- Ability to produce outputs that use visualisation techniques and data analytics.
- Experience using excel and modelling to manipulate data and building and maintaining a model suite.
- Excellent problem solving skills.
- Self-starting and inquisitive attitude, proactively seeking solutions to programmes analytical needs.
- Passion for continuous improvements.
- Understanding of the financial and economic parts of a business case.
- Understanding of project appraisal techniques (e.g. IRR, NPV etc)
- Experience of project work with deadlines in a fast paced changing environment.
- Team player and ability to work in multidisciplinary teams (finance, commercial, capital projects, client solutions etc).
- To be engaging and enthusiastic whilst helping others to achieve the team goals.
- Experience using excel modelling to support a finance function
- Experience in constructing and evaluating business cases
- Possess a commercial (not necessarily real estate based) acumen
- VBA Knowledge
For more information or an informal discussion, please apply via the link, or contact Michael Swinburn or Jack White at our retained search agent, Robertson Bell.