8 days ago
We’re currently looking for Financial Controller to join our finance team.
You will manage core financial accounting and reporting plus transactional processing and payroll.
- Preparation of financial statements for ICAEW and all its Trusts and Subsidiaries including
- - Preparing draft financial statements
- - Preparing reports for the board and council liaising as appropriate to finalise the financial statements
- - Assist in delivery of the annual report
- - Prepare briefings on the accounts and financial affairs for the Annual Meeting
- Management of the relationship with external audit
- - Ensure year end audit files are uploaded promptly
- - Liaise with auditors to resolve issues and queries
- - Ensure year end timetable is adhered to.
- Subsidiary accounting (monthly management and annual statutory accounts)
- Trust Accounting (monthly management and annual statutory accounts)
- District/Student Society accounting
- Management of the Fees and Subscriptions Annual Renewals Process
- Management of payroll including sign off prior to submission
- Management of the Purchase Order Process, including monthly reviews and proposals for improvement.
- Fixed Assets, to include ensuring that ICAEW adopts the most appropriate accounting policies and estimates (asset lives) and accounts for fixed assets appropriately under IFRS (with special attention to leases)
- Management of all balance reconciliations on a monthly basis, ensuring they all agree to a monthly trial balance
- In depth review on a monthly basis of the trial balance to ensure correct treatment of transactions
- Review of all journals of high value (over £50k) posted in the area prior to posting and sign off post month end
- Where changes to IFRS are on the horizon, ensure that all relevant wider team members are aware of the implications for ICAEW
- Work closely with Finance Business Partnering Team regarding all financial accounting matters and updates
- Assist in preparation of Budget, Forecasting and Operational Plan with the Head of Finance Business Partnering.
- To build, maintain and manage a high performing team by providing leadership, role clarity, coaching, training & career development
- To manage the performance of Finance Accounting & Transactional Processing direct reports
- To inspire and influence teams to deliver against organisational strategies
- Play a key role in the Finance Management Team and contribute to the overall effectiveness through collaborative goal setting, delivery and ways of working
- Specific duties will vary from time to time in line with the business needs
•Relevant accountancy qualification with strong experience in financial accounting, business reporting and planning within a decision support environment
•Technically strong (able to evidence regular and up to date PQE, particularly with respect to recent IFRS changes)
•Experience in leading, managing and coaching others
•Proactive and committed, with a real desire to help improve ICAEW and team performance
•Strong process and project skills and an enthusiasm for change management
•Resilient with a keen eye for detail and a “right first time” culture
•Able to inspire confidence from those they manage, their peers and directors and build strong, credible relationships
•Build relationships across ICAEW to develop full understanding of operations
•Able to communicate clearly, both verbally and in writing
•Strong Excel skills
•Experience using Microsoft Dynamics NAV or similar and preferably with Jet reporting.
ICAEW values – for all employees
The 3 i’s are the values that drive everyone’s attitude and approach to working at ICAEW. They help us to collaborate, innovate and be an agile organisation.
• Actively collaborate to identify needs and look for innovative solutions.
• Bring together different groups and communities to work together.
• Empower people to be agile, so they can take ownership and harness the collective efforts of ICAEW in a flexible and responsive way.
• Actively gather insights to develop innovative and considered thought.
• Collaborate with our networks to voice different perspectives and insights internally and externally, to stimulate discussion and debate.
• Be agile in finding new and timely ways to provide understanding and insight to our members, organisations and government.
• Act with transparency, consistency and openness as integrity underpins everything we do.
• Stand by your principles to adhere to the highest professional standards even when facing adversity.
• Do the right thing, even when no one is looking.
Not the role for you?
We often have other roles we are recruiting for and we’re always interested to hear from people, particularly if you have experience in accountancy practice, the legal and regulatory sector, or digital skills. Please visit our job portal for the latest opportunities.
Why work at ICAEW?
At ICAEW we offer a comprehensive benefit package which enables our employees to choose from a range of options including:
24 days holiday, increasing with service and the ability to buy or sell holiday.
Group personal pension plan with an employer contribution of 9%,
Private medical insurance
An additional day off at Christmas
Potential to work from home and our offices
Season ticket travel loans
As well as offering employee benefits, we truly believe in creating a diverse and empowering culture where our teams can thrive and be themselves. We support sustainability, corporate and social responsibility campaigns and encourage our employees to take a day to work for a cause of their choice, or to work collaboratively as a team in doing this. We nominate and support two charities every year and run all manner of events to raise money. Our active social committees provide fun events ranging from the seasonal parties, to quiz nights and bowling tournaments.
Here are just a few of the initiatives we run to fly the flag for employee well-being, equality and diversity:
CABA supports the well-being of ICAEW Chartered Accountants, ACA students and ICAEW members of staff – helping them through challenging times and also offering guidance for personal development.
Whenever you contact CABA, you will be assigned a highly trained adviser who will devise a bespoke programme of practical, emotional and financial support to address and resolve your situation. Any information provided will be held in the strictest confidence. Please visit caba.org.uk for more information.
Our LGBT+ network, the Together Community, aims to create an open, progressive and informed working environment to support ICAEW's employees and stakeholders. They provide regular meetings and activities, and act as a point of contact for LGBT+ employees and allies for related issues.
Our Diversity and Inclusion network, embrace, creates a supportive working environment for all our colleagues while also encouraging employees to understand the needs of individuals across our organisation. It helps us to understand our individual differences, so we can support each other with respect. If you’re interested in our work around inclusion and these communities please visit: https://www.icaew.com/insights/diversity-and-inclusion and also our Instagram feed.
Closing date 7 May 2021