|Job Title:||Financial Controller|
|Location:||City of London|
|Salary:||£58k per year|
|Contact Name:||Katie Wilson-Smith|
|Job Published:||August 07, 2020 11:20|
St Pauls Cathedral is partnering exclusively with Robertson Bell to recruit to a Financial Controller role on a permanent, full time basis. St Pauls Cathedral is a world-renowned landmark and probably one of the most recognisable sights on the London skyline. Following a recent restructure St Pauls are now looking to recruit this key role.
St Paul’s boasts a very diverse environment. Normally welcoming over one million worshippers and visitors a year, this institution also has a shop, hosts corporate and adult learning events as well as engaging with schools and families. Responsible to the Director of Corporate Services this Financial Controller will be responsible for the whole of the Cathedral’s (Group) day-to-day accounting function to ensure effective procedures and robust controls are in place for all aspects of the function.
The key responsibilities will be:
- Responsible for the direct line management of all the staff in the Finance Team to ensure they work in an efficient, effective, supportive and co-ordinated way to deliver the Cathedral’s accounting function.
- Lead on year-end and audit planning and preparation; draft annual statutory accounts for review by the Director of Corporate Services and act as main point of contact for the auditors.
- Advise on technical matters to the Finance Team and others as required, in line with the Charities’ SORP and any other accounting standards as appropriate.
- Manage the Cathedral’s accounting system and any related software applications together with any third party support contracts, ensuring complete and up-to-date accounting records are maintained.
- Support the Director of Corporate Services in the annual planning process to ensure that budgets and forecasts are prepared based upon reasonable assumptions and timely base information.
- Produce a single standard set of management accounts each month, incorporating fund balances and overhead charges, and working with budget holders, providing a commentary on key variances and any known risks.
- Monitor cash at bank and utilising latest forecasts maintain a 12-month cash-flow projection; raise any concerns with Director of Corporate Services.
- Preparation of financial reports to funders, as required.
Having opened in 1708 some traditions and ways of working have been in place for hundreds of years; the role of the finance team is to cherish the good but introduce new ways of working. Now the focus is to encourage internal customers to use systems and consistent processes so that they are as efficient and effective as possible.
The Cathedral is fully embracing working from home and now need to ensure that processes are fit for that purpose.
The successful candidate will:
- Be a qualified accountant.
- Expert knowledge of charity SORP accounting
- Have experience of managing financial systems, including setting and managing budgets, management accounts and cash flow, etc.
- Have the first-class ability to prepare year-end accounts and annual budgets in line with charity SORP.
- Strong experience of VAT including partial recovery and corporation tax
- Experience of developing and implementing financial systems and internal controls.
- Have excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to motivate staff, to develop and maintain quality relationships with staff, volunteers, trustees, clients and suppliers, funders and donors.
This opportunity will be based at offices on site at the Cathedral.
The closing date for applications is 30th August with interviews taking place the week commencing 7th September. Applications will be under constant review before the closing date so please submit your application to our retained search agent Robertson Bell. Apply now to be considered!
Get similar jobs like these by email
By submitting your details you agree to our T&C's
Interim Financial Controller
£350 - £450 per day
£40000.00 - £45000.00 per annum + excellent benefits
£40000 - £45000 per annum
£42k - 45k per year