Financial Accounting and Reporting Examiner
|Job Title:||Financial Accounting and Reporting Examiner|
|Location:||City of London|
|Salary:||Paid per examination session|
|Job Published:||April 22, 2020 16:08|
ICAEW’s ACA is regarded as the qualification for business leaders and attracts talented students from a variety of backgrounds worldwide. We are currently looking for professionals from a business or academic background to join our Professional Level Financial Accounting and Reporting team within the ACA qualification.
The Examiner is responsible for the production of the ACA exams and mark schemes according to the syllabus specification and for the marking of these exams. They are required to work closely with the team and the Senior Moderators at all stages.
EXAMINER ROLE DESCRIPTION
- Prepare the exam and mark schemes consistent with the syllabuses.
- critically assess the quality of questions and candidates’ answers for each exam and prepare the post exam material with commentaries for publishing.
- organise the marking of written scripts with the assistance of the Moderator or team
- report on the marking and results of the exam.
- organise the marking of written scripts with the assistance of the Moderator or team; lead the marking session throughout; undertake marking of scripts as appropriate, including in sessions run by other exam team members.
- attend meetings of the Examination Review Board to critically assess other ACA exam subjects
- meet representatives of the tutorial organisations and ICAEW selected publishing partner for the Core Learning Materials to discuss the aims and objectives of the syllabus as interpreted in recent exams and suggest changes.
ICAEW Examiners are experts in their subject area, drawing from commercial and/or academic experience and applying this within an assessment framework. You may be changing career path, looking for additional work to expand your portfolio, or already be working as a freelancer in the professional qualifications space. You’ll likely have recent experience of teaching, setting or marking professional accountancy examinations, usually in the subject area for which you are applying. ICAEW membership is desirable, and membership of at least one relevant professional body is essential.
Applicants for the posts will need to demonstrate the following skills and attributes:
- membership of a recognised professional body
- specialism in Financial Accounting and Reporting specialism in Financial Accounting and Reporting, in particular; the International Accounting Standards Board’s (IASB) conceptual framework for financial reporting, the application of IFRS to specified single entity or group scenarios
- the principal differences between IFRS and UK GAAP and key ethical issues
- together with a good overall knowledge of the whole field of accountancy
- team player
- willingness to work with a senior moderator and with ICAEW staff
- flexibility and responsiveness to identified needs
- attention to detail
- ability to work to strict deadlines
- respect for the confidential nature of ICAEW’s examination process
- interest in developing modes of assessment
- availability in the period of time specified
Please note that examiners are not permitted to teach ICAEW students, if appointed.
Fees are fixed and paid per examination session. The work may include approximately ten contact days per session as well as the time required for setting questions and papers, mark schemes, marking and report writing.
How to proceed
Please email ExaminerRecruitment@icaew.com by 7th May 2020 with your CV and a statement detailing:
- how you meet the person specification
- why you would be interested in becoming an ICAEW examiner.
Due to the current circumstances, this interviews may be held via telephone. However normally interviews will be held in either Chartered Accountants Hall, Moorgate, London EC2R 6EA or at Metropolitan House, 321 Avebury Boulevard, Central Milton Keynes MK9 on or around 23rd June 2020.