12 days ago
Not for Profit Division
Our Not for Profit Group has extensive experience in providing audit and advisory services to the sector. We are committed to working with Not for Profit entities both in the UK and overseas and act for a wide range of clients including registered charities, independent schools, membership organisations and donor agencies. Our clients include a number of well-known organisations in the sector undertaking a wide range of activities from working to protect endangered species to undertaking scientific research to providing grants and support to social entrepreneurs.
The division is led by partners who have extensive first-hand experience in the not for profit sector. This enables us to understand the challenging environment these organisations face, which is heightened by an increasing demand for services with greatly constrained resources.
Our people have a passion for the sector. Many of the team have worked directly in the not for profit sector before returning to practice, and everyone shares a passion for delivering strong social outcomes as well as financial sustainability – we describe ourselves as sector people who happen to be in practice.
The Not for Profit team also includes experts in areas such as corporate tax, VAT and counter-fraud, with a detailed understanding of the issues affecting the sector. This full service-team approach allows us to provide the expertise and advice that our clients need. We frequently share our sector knowledge and insight with our clients through seminars, newsletters and e-shots.
What skills will you need to be effective in this role?
Job Duties and Responsibilities
You will be responsible for the planning, on-site running and completion of a portfolio of audit assignments to a range of clients in the not for profit sector. This will include providing on-the-job training to more junior members of the team.
Our team is also one of the largest providers of EC grant verification audit work, through which we work with some of the largest internationally-recognised charities and humanitarian organisations. The role will provide the opportunity for involvement in these EC grant verification audits which can include global travel opportunities.
Specific responsibilities will include the following:
Prior to the assignment, the senior will be expected to:
• Attend the pre-assignment discussions with the audit team.
• Complete the planning sections of the audit file and draft the Audit Planning Report.
• Input into our audit risk assessment, test design and budgeting procedures.
During the assignment, the senior will be expected to:
• Take ownership for the completion of the audit testing across the file to a high quality.
• Allocate work appropriately to junior members of the audit team.
• Provide coaching to junior members of the team, review their work and provide feedback.
• Ensure that the work undertaken on site is in accordance with the approved plan and time budget.
• Communicate effectively, pro-actively advising the manager of any issues or developments that may impact on the timeline or result in adjustments being raised.
• Develop an effective working relationship with key client contacts, which could be at FC / FD level. • Respond to all client queries and concerns in an efficient and professional manner, often dealing directly with senior management.
• Suggest practical solutions to any issues or problems arising.
• Maintain a complete log of outstanding issues and queries.
• Clear any manager and partner review points raised, and follow up any outstanding queries.
• Provide sound advice to clients and demonstrate knowledge of business issues.
After the completion of the on-site audit visit, the senior will be expected to:
• Assist with the drafting of the Audit Findings Report issued to the client, in particular regards to control issues and recommendations identified during the audit visit.
• Assist with the completion and close-down of the audit file.
• Provide a detailed analysis of time charged on every assignment to facilitate billing and future planning. Where there have been time overruns, reasons should be provided to facilitate further discussions with the client or other appropriate actions as needed.
Skills and Qualifications
• A passion for the Not for Profit sector and in developing wider knowledge of the issues affecting our clients.
• Accountancy training - audit based.
• ACCA or ACA, or equivalent, qualified.
• Proven skills in external audit.
• Proven skills in audit planning, fieldwork and file completion.
• Proven skills in supervising and managing staff.
• Enthusiasm to assist with departmental responsibilities beyond the audits, for example business development activities or training of juniors.