|Job Title:||Associate Analyst|
|Salary:||£35,000 - £40,000 + 7% pension contribution|
|Job Published:||December 07, 2021 16:47|
Carbon Tracker Initiative is an independent financial think tank that carries out in-depth analysis on the impact of the energy transition on capital markets and the potential investment in high-cost, carbon-intensive fossil fuels. We believe that financial markets, regulators, investors and policymakers all have an urgent role to play in guiding the world to a climate-secure energy system. Carbon Tracker’s analysis of ‘unburnable carbon’, ‘stranded assets’, and ‘wasted capital’ has reframed the debate around climate change risk.
The Regulatory and Accounting team builds upon Carbon Tracker’s research on financial risk by identifying the ways by which regulators can ensure that companies are providing transparency around those risks to the market. The team’s focus, more specifically, is on ensuring sufficient transparency so that markets can price those risks into their valuations. This includes engaging principally with accounting standards setters, capital markets regulators and those who can influence their decision-making.
Carbon Tracker are excited to be seeking talented candidates to undertake research on accounting, auditing and disclosures. In particular, this role will involve reviewing company financial statements for transparency about the implications of climate change on the extractives sector, and whether auditors are sufficiently challenging management on the underlying assumptions used to prepare the financial statements. The role also considers wider corporate reporting; and will expand to consider companies operating in other sectors which are covered by the Climate Action 100+. The role will require presenting research to stakeholders.
Role and responsibilities
- Help produce analyses of Climate Action 100+ company accounts
- Engage with relevant organisations on accounting, auditing and wider corporate reporting issues relating to climate-related risks within the extractives sector. These organisations may include:
- Accounting standard setters
- Major audit firms
- Accounting and audit regulators
- Financial regulators
- Participate in drafting the Carbon Tracker response to relevant consultations by any of the above organisations.
- Review company financial statements and undertake research working with the Senior Analyst and wider Regulatory and Accounting team and collaborate with other Carbon Tracker teams.
- Keep up to date on new and ongoing external projects relevant to climate change and the extractives sector.
- Drive our narrative to specialise in this area to achieve Company goals and mission.
- Keep up to date on relevant developments in accounting, auditing and wider corporate reporting, including new reporting requirements, guidance and best practice.
- Where needed, write reports on topics such as: reserve and resource reporting, decommissioning provisions, accounting standards, auditing practices etc.
- Perform outreach activities with relevant organisations relating to our work on the above reports.
- Work with the Investor Outreach team to engage research analysts involved in the work
- Speak with confidence at conferences and events to present the work.
- Have an outward mindset with ability to influence policy makers, facilitate and effect behavioural change in the markets.
- Work with the Senior Analyst and wider Regulatory and Accounting team to develop a potential educational package for accounting and audit firms.
- Assist the wider regulatory team on other matters related to accounting and audit.
- ACCA/ACA qualified, or part qualified with relevant experience
- Adept at sourcing and researching credible and relevant data and information
- Experience in working in a deadline driven environment
- Experience of presenting own work
- Highly motivated, fast learner
- Methodical and organised with a high attention to detail
- Ability to write clearly and convey accounting concepts to non-specialist audiences
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, able to translate complexity clearly and concisely
- Team player, high integrity, diligent
- Passion for the mission
- GBP £35,000-£40,000 plus 7% contribution to pension
- 25 days holiday including bank holidays with one extra day granted for service capped at 5
- Cycle to work scheme
- Employee Assistance Programme
- Discretionary bonus (funding and company performance dependent)
- Closing date for applications is 9th January 2022
- Please apply through our Careers page by clicking Apply Now
- Applications without a covering letter explaining why you have applied to work at Carbon Tracker will not be considered.
- Carbon Tracker can only consider candidates who are eligible to work in the UK.
- We strive to ensure that opportunities to work and develop at Carbon Tracker are open to all. We welcome applications from all qualified applicants, regardless of age, disability, gender identity or gender expression, race, ethnicity, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation or any other equality characteristic.
- Carbon Tracker supports flexibility and we welcome career returners.
- Thank you for your interest in Carbon Tracker and good luck!
Carbon Tracker will process any data provided in response to this open role for recruitment purposes only. We will hold personal data on candidates in our applicant tracking system which is fully compliant with current GDPR legislation until our open role is filled. We cannot state the exact time period for this because it varies role to role. The period is over when a candidate accepts our job offer and starts in the new role. When that period is over we will delete your data. You have the right to lodge a complaint about the way we handle your data with the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) or you can contact us directly if you have any concerns you would like to discuss.
Get similar jobs like these by email
By submitting your details you agree to our T&C's
Associate Finance Business Partner
Birmingham, West Midlands
£145.00 - £165.00 per day
Project Associate - Audit Policy
£40000 - £45000 per annum
Financial Analyst / Business Partner
£225.00 - £325.00 per day
Business Risk Services Internal Audit Senior Manager/Associate Director (Charities sector)
£Competitive + Benefits