Assistant Manager - Employer Covenant Review
|Job Title:||Assistant Manager - Employer Covenant Review|
|Contact Name:||Jodie Linton|
|Job Published:||May 20, 2019 15:18|
KPMG’s Restructuring Employer Covenant Review Team are looking for an Assistant Manager to join our expanding National team, with this role based primarily in Birmingham.
The team of trusted advisors offer a full range of services to stressed and distressed businesses, ranging from formal insolvency through to advising profitable businesses on enhancing value and solving issues.
The Midlands & South Restructuring team, where the vacancy exists, is made up of approximately 65 people, led by a team of three partners and five directors. This specific role would see the successful candidate joining this Midlands practice as well as national team dedicated to Pensions focussed Restructuring work.
Work in this specific role centres on assessing the financial strength of the companies that are responsible for funding defined benefit pension schemes, and assessing how much these companies can afford to pay to their schemes to meet the funding shortfall.
Our work is hands on – as well as producing concise reports, we are in the boardroom providing direct strategic and negotiation support, and then implementing our recommendations.
We work for both trustees and corporates, including some of the largest and most complex businesses in the UK. Our work falls into three areas:
1) Assessing the financial strength of the business supporting the scheme for the trustees or helping the corporate present their financial strength to their scheme trustees/advisors;
2) Assessing the impact of corporate activity on the level of financial support offered to the scheme – e.g. understanding the impact of M&A activity, business reorganisations, refinancings, etc. Again, we work for both corporates and trustees, often helping to design and implement structures and solutions; and
3) Dealing with situations where the size of the scheme threatens the ability of the sponsoring company/group to be able to continue to trade. This requires innovative solutions, robust financial analysis and excellent negotiation skills.
We work closely with other parts of KPMG including Pensions Advisory, Transaction Services, Corporate Finance and various sector teams. In many situations, a multi-functional team is deployed.
The role requires strong accounting analysis, report writing skills and a commercial mind-set. This position would represent an exciting opportunity to make a first move into an Advisory role following qualification.
Applicants should be ready to work in a dynamic, flexible and fast paced environment. We work with a wide variety of clients, from small privately owned enterprises through to FTSE 100 and high profile businesses. Applicants should expect to work across all sectors.
To be an effective Assistant Manager within the Employer Covenant team, and in this role specifically, you will undertake the following:
- Assist in helping our team build strong, trusted adviser relationships with senior management and other key stakeholders during engagements (including trustees, solicitors and actuaries);
- Manage your role on engagements and projects to scope, time, quality and budget complying with KPMG engagement management practices;
- Appraise situations (which can be challenging & fast developing) and support the senior engagement team in look to develop innovative solutions, assessing options for businesses and/or stakeholders;
- Communicate views and insights (both in writing and verbally) in an effective and compelling manner to clients and KPMG colleagues, able to adjust style to circumstances;
- Support on the design and development of client ready deliverables with oversight from Managers which will include;
o The drafting of PowerPoint reports and presentations, meeting notes and advice notes; and
o Taking responsibility for the preparation of Excel “data books”, analysing client financial information which is likely to include (but is not limited to) historical and forecast profit and loss, balance sheet and cash flow information.
- Involvement in business development activities, including developing pitches and proposals to win new work.
Key skills and competencies required:
- Strong commercial and business acumen, with evidence of experience;
- Ability to work innovatively and ‘self-start’;
- Desire to build wide advisory expertise and develop knowledge of the team’s offerings;
- Ability to communicate well with operational and financial staff at all levels;
- Good time management and organisational skills, together with the ability to prioritise tasks;
- An ability to produce high quality, detailed and accurate work, and produce concise and creative reports and presentations – support would be given to further develop these skills. However a working knowledge of Microsoft PowerPoint is desirable, with intermediate Excel skill being a necessity;
- Enjoy working in a dynamic, flexible and fast paced project environment;
- Willingness to embrace work across all sectors;
- Willingness to undertake some travel, albeit this is typically limited to day trips; and
- Developing financial and analytical skills, with relevant accountancy qualification.
Prior experience of undertaking employer covenant work is not essential. Up front training and continuous coaching will be provided.
Get similar jobs like these by email
By submitting your details you agree to our T&C's
Assistant Tax Manager
£4000.00 - £6000.00 per month
Consultant / Assistant Manager (Immigration Services Focus)
Assistant Financial Accountant - First Move from Practice
£32000 - £40000 per annum + study support, and other benefits
£50000.00 - £60000 per annum + bonus and benefits
£55000 - £65000 per annum + Bonus plus Benefits