Assistant College Accountant
|Job Title:||Assistant College Accountant|
|Salary:||£38000 - £45000 per annum + pension, meals & private health cover|
|Contact Name:||Andrew Wilson|
|Job Published:||April 15, 2019 18:01|
This role will perform financial line functions and work as part of a small Finance Bursary team.
Your new company
I am working exclusively with Merton College, which is one of the oldest and most beautiful colleges in Oxford, tucked away behind the High Street, with glorious views across Christ Church Meadows, but within easy reach of libraries, labs and the city centre. The College is a vibrant, diverse, inclusive, community with an exceptional record of academic success and cutting edge research.
Your new role
Deputising for the College Accountant in his absence as a point of contact for Finance Bursary colleagues and senior management. Assisting in the preparation of Merton College Charity SORP financial statements to audit standard, including;
- Opening trial balance reconciliation and journals
- Calculation of income and expenditure prepayments and accruals
- Maintaining the fixed asset register and calculating depreciation charges and profits/losses on disposal
- Reviewing income, expenditure and balance sheet nominal ledger transactions and correcting miss postings
- Liaising with staff and external stock-taker to calculate year-end value of wine, food and cleaning stock
- Entering and posting journals
- Checking that balance sheet nominal balances reconcile with backing schedules, investigate differences and correct where required.
- Maintain schedules of College security investments and review Estates Bursar's year-end land and property valuations.
- Calculating the USS and OSPS deficit reduction pension provisions using University of Oxford spreadsheet modellers and College assumptions of discount rates, salary increases, contributions paid, etc.
- Maintaining backing schedules for notes in the financial statements including staff costs, grants and awards, movements on endowment and restricted funds of the College, trustees' remuneration and pension schemes.
- Analysing various income and expenditure nominal balances requiring further disclosure in the financial statements.
- Creating the new year-end SORP financial statements spreadsheet, entering trial balance figures and amending the spreadsheet for new nominal balances, changes in legislation or disclosure requirements.
- Amending the SORP financial statements spreadsheet where required and finalise for distribution to the Finance Committee and Governing Body.
What you'll need to succeed
ACA, CIMA, CIPFA or ACCA qualified accountant with an in-depth knowledge and experience of:
- The use of accounting and reporting software
- Income, expenditure and capital expenditure budgeting
- Charity SORP accounting and FRS102
- Reconciliation of balance sheet and income & expenditure nominal accounts
- Maintaining a fixed asset register
- Accruals, prepayments and provisions
- Management accounting
- At least one Windows-based accounting software package
- Accounting for endowment and restricted funds and assets
- Payroll processing and the associated nominal account postings
- Intercompany transactions and consolidated accounts
- VAT partial exemption
- Rental income, different types of tenancies, tenant deposits and the associated credit control
- Intermediate or advanced Microsoft Excel spreadsheets including data manipulation
- Working knowledge of Word and Outlook
- Efficient organisation of workload, ability to prioritise work, self-motivated and appropriate use of initiative
- Work co-operatively and productively with departmental colleagues and staff from other departments
- Strong written communication skills and good oral skills to communicate with people from all levels and explain technical and financial aspects in everyday language
- Accuracy and attention to detail
- Calm under pressure
- Previous accounting experience in Higher Education and charity sector Calm under pressure
What you'll get in return
The salary offered for this role will be in the range of £38,000 to £45,000 per annum, depending on experience. Weekly hours of work are 35 per week typically worked 9.00am to 5.00pm, Monday to Friday. Flexibility to work additional hours will be required during busy periods. Compensatory time off in lieu will be available.
Meals are provided free of charge whilst working.
Attractive pension scheme - 18% in total; 8% Employee contributions and 10% employer contributions.
Private health insurance
Fee use of fitness suite, gym and classes.
What you need to do now
If you're interested in this role, click 'apply now' to forward an up-to-date copy of your CV, or call us now.
If this job isn't quite right for you but you are looking for a new position, please contact us for a confidential discussion on your career.
Get similar jobs like these by email
By submitting your details you agree to our T&C's
£45k - 49k per year
£43000 - £48000 per annum
£50000.00 - £55000.00 per annum
Senior Financial Accountant
£50,345 - £57,917 per year + £4,000 Accountancy Allowance
Commercial Management Accountant
£30,500 - 35,734 per year + £5000 accountancy and £2500 part qualified accountancy allowance