Accountant and New Business Advisor – Shell Trading
|Job Title:||Accountant and New Business Advisor – Shell Trading|
|Job Published:||November 25, 2019 10:38|
Accountant & New Business Advisor – Shell Trading
A fantastic introduction to one of the world’s largest commodity trading businesses – you’ll sharpen your accounting standards expertise, learn about deal drivers and valuation techniques and become a valued business partner to diverse decision-makers all over the world.
What’s the role?
You’ll be part of a 14-strong global team (based largely in London and Houston) who advise on the accounting treatment of new business proposals and on the ongoing accounting and reporting of commodity transactions (derivatives) for Shell’s Trading & Supply business. The business continues to grow and develop innovative deal structures; these provide a continued flow of new business proposals that will stretch and develop your accounting knowledge providing continued learning opportunities in the role.
There are two main strands to the role. Your time between each is balanced depending on your level of experience and further development.
Firstly, the wider accounting advisory part of the job includes:
- Providing financial accounting advice across Shell Trading; for example, to inter alia traders or Trading Finance leaders for new business proposals.
- Determining the appropriate application of relevant accounting standards (internal and external) for Shell Trading entities; accounting advice on the accounting treatment of commodity and related derivative contracts.
- Supporting the implementation of new accounting standards (recent examples include IFRS 9 and IFRS 16).
Secondly, you’ll be involved in:
- Preparing IFRS-compliant derivatives accounting entries by applying IFRS accounting rules to fair value and reporting future commodity transactions. Because Shell is a Trading business, this is crucial and you’ll enjoy good exposure to the deal flow in a dynamic, progressive environment.
- You’ll also take care of the associated analysis, commentary and year-end disclosures.
Beyond this, the team works to develop policies and practices; both within Trading and also the wider Shell Group (through working closely with Group Reporting).
Shell Trading consists a number of businesses (Gas, Power and Emissions; Crude; Products; LNG). You’ll focus and develop real expertise on one or two of these businesses but you can also look forward to learning about and supporting all of these businesses.
You’ll learn that there can be material differences between Market Risk valuations (Fair economic value) and the accounting valuation – that’s why it’s vital that you can forge effective working relationships with Market Risk teams; they manage the underlying fair values calculation and identify deals that aren’t appropriate for IFRS accounting.
Accountants advisors will benefit from:
- Opportunity to take a holistic view at value and risks in the business to support commercial decisions.
- Develop deep accounting expertise and working closely with business to impact bottom line performance.
- Develop commercial expertise as an active member of deal teams to support new business/deals.
What we need from you
- A qualified accountant, you’ve acquired good finance experience over several years (including accounting & reporting) either in an accounting practice, large corporate, or commodity trading environment.
- We’re keen to hear from men and women who can engage with concepts and stakeholders, weigh the options and apply their judgement to make sound decisions. If you’re enthusiastic about developing a full understanding of end-to-end deal economics and accounting, including how it’s reported in the Trading systems, we want to talk to you.
- Whilst you do not need encyclopaedic knowledge of IFRS, it would be helpful to have familiarity with accounting topics such as financial instruments (IFRS9 and 7), fair value (IFRS13), and leasing (IFRS16) and an interest in learning more. We can support your continued development.
- Personally, you’ll bring us a positive, proactive approach to managing and solving problems. A natural collaborator and confident communicator, you enjoy cultivating fruitful working relationships and influencing others to make finance changes happen.
Shell started operations in the United Kingdom more than 110 years ago. Since then we have grown into a leading innovative oil and gas company that rewards its employees by investing heavily in their careers and learning. Our people are our greatest asset, and our commitment to your career will see you thrive in a work environment that offers an industry-leading development programme. When your ideas travel, Shell will benefit and innovation will thrive. Shell has a key role to play in helping meet the UK’s growing energy demand, whilst using innovative technologies to develop cleaner energy. We are the largest FTSE 100 company in the UK by market capitalisation, and make a significant contribution to the UK economy. As well as processing 35% of the gas coming into the UK, we serve more than four million customers at our filling stations each week. Shell employs some 6,400 skilled staff as well as many contractors.
Shell is a company with shared values. Honesty, integrity, and respect aren't simply a strapline: they are a part of everything we do. What's more, Shell is an equal opportunities company, and we place the highest possible value on the diversity of our people and our inclusive approach.
Join us and you’ll belong to a world where you can feel pride in your achievements and propel your career with global opportunities
We care deeply about fostering a truly diverse workplace. We believe in doing everything we can to make Shell as flexible, appealing and supportive a place for women to work as possible. And we've retained our title as a top employer for women in the Times again in 2016.
We help with things like our formal (and informal) flexible working. Like our global and transparent pay policies backed by a leadership team fully supportive of our diversity ambitions. And we'll help foster your career through our Women's Career Development programme and our extensive Women's Network.
People with an impairment
At Shell, we're all about top talent. End of story. We want to encourage those of you who may face an impairment to regard Shell as a place where you'll be fully supported to grow and develop your career. It's as simple as that.
If you'd like to apply, just let us know about your circumstances. We can support you throughout the process. From application, to interview, to your first day of a rewarding career with us.
Please note: We occasionally amend or withdraw Shell jobs and reserve the right to do so at any time, including prior to the advertised closing date.
Before applying, you are advised to read our data protection policy. This policy describes the processing that may be associated with your personal data and informs you that your personal data may be transferred to Royal Dutch/Shell Group companies around the world.
The Shell Group and its approved recruitment consultants will never ask you for a fee to process or consider your application for a career with Shell. Anyone who demands such a fee is not an authorised Shell representative and you are strongly advised to refuse any such demand.
Shell is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Please apply via the 'Apply' button.
Controlling and Accounting
London - Shell Centre
No. of Positions
Get similar jobs like these by email
By submitting your details you agree to our T&C's
Business Recovery Manager - JIEB Qualified
£200.00 - £250.00 per day
Brighton, East Sussex
£30000.00 - £40000.00 per annum + bonus, pension, private medical
Crawley, West Sussex
£55000 - £65000 per annum
£36 - £45000.00 per annum