Your new company
This is a great time to join the finance team in London Borough of Brent. You will work with an outstanding leadership team and will join a highly committed and innovative team who are dedicated to building on their performance. Brent is a tremendously vibrant London borough where the iconic arch of Wembley Stadium dominates the skyline. Spanning both inner and outer London, it is a borough of huge contrasts in terms of its economic, environmental, ethnic and social make-up.
Your new role
The key focus of this role is producing the council's statutory financial accounts and annual report, including VAT reporting. The role requires you to manage a small team, including an assistant accountant and play a key role in supporting graduate trainees to develop their skills. Keeping up to date with changes in legislation relating to local government finance will be critical and you must be committed to process improvement and creating efficiency. You will be a key point of contact for internal and external auditors and HMRC.
Systems: Excel (required) and Oracle (desirable).
What you\'ll need to succeed
You will be a qualified accountant with a good understanding of closing accounts in the public sector, such as local government or the NHS. Alternatively, you may have worked in practice and have audited local authorities or be looking to move from the NAO. You will have excellent planning and organisational skills and be able to manage processes and people to deliver against objectives on a timely basis.
What you\'ll get in return
Flexible working options are available. Hybrid working.
The closing date will be 14th February but please note that applications will be reviewed as they are received. Please do not wait until the closing date to apply.
- competitive salary
- the opportunity to join the Local Government Pension Scheme
- generous holiday entitlements starting from 26 days\' holiday a year
- a full range of family friendly policies, including generous maternity and paternity entitlements and childcare schemes
- flexible working patterns, including hybrid working
- training and development opportunities
- good travel links in and out of Wembley and a range of cost saving travel schemes
- access to My Brent Rewards, our dedicated website for staff with big brand discounts and local offers
- work at the outstanding state-of-the-art Brent Civic Centre