The National Audit Office (NAO) supports parliament to hold government to account and to improve public services. We focus on driving long-term sustainable improvement in public service delivery and work with government and our stakeholders to deliver better performance. In a nutshell, we help the nation spend wisely.
As the NAO continues to provide crucial accountability for UK Taxpayers, we are looking to recruit talented, high-performing individuals to our Senior Auditor role to lead and deliver some of our key audit engagements.
The role offers a great opportunity for newly qualified and experienced Chartered Accountants who are looking to develop their skills and make an impact through their work. Candidates should have a strong working knowledge of financial audit procedures, with an interest in public sector audit. Those with experience of auditing companies and charities are also encouraged to apply.
We will support successful candidates to be proactive in their career development and use the Senior Auditor role as a platform for future success.
- Working in accordance with the NAO’s values and championing our diversity and inclusion.
- Be aware of NAO’s strategic objectives and organisational initiatives, as well as other circumstances and events relevant to your work and specialism.
- Balance multiple projects and priorities to deliver a complex, challenging portfolio of audits to a high quality standard.
- Utilise technical of financial reporting to assess accounting judgements around key areas in clients’ financial statements.
- Using professional judgement and scepticism to assess the quality and validity of audit evidence and challenge where greater assurance is needed.
- Influence and provide value to our clients by building your understanding of their operations and challenges
- Contributing to the development of our approach to financial audit, supporting improvements in our audit methodology, audit software, use of financial data, and operational working practices.
- Collaborate with Hubs and other specialist teams to both offer and access expertise from across the NAO
- Independently and proactively develop your own technical skills and knowledge
- Comply with corporate responsibilities and support others to do so.
Candidates must be:
- CCAB Qualified (ACA, ACCA ,CIPFA, ICAS and Chartered Accountants Ireland)
Skills and Experience
- Experience of IFRS and international standards on auditing.
- Recent post-qualification experience in leading external audit engagements.
- Exceptional project management skills, able to deliver high quality audit work while protecting the welfare of your teams.
- A proactive approach to problem solving and relationship building to maximise the influence of our work with government bodies and other stakeholders.
- Collaborative, engages well with colleagues at all levels, and invests in their development and the wider success of the organisation.
- The ability to lead, develop and motivate diverse teams and support all colleagues to deliver great work and achieve their potential.
- Experience of public sector or charity audits.
- Experience in implementing and embedding transformational change in financial audit methodologies, software and use of data.
- Working in a Centre of Expertise that provides assurance over complex transactions and balances.
- Experience in supporting a firm’s second and third line of defence work to improve the quality of their work
- Auditing Shared Service or complex IT environments
PLEASE CLICK THE LINK TO ACCESS THE CANDIDATE INFORMATION PACK - https://bit.ly/3sQVriw