Role and responsibilities
This is a senior position to assist with the running of a recycling, property, and construction company in a period of extremely high growth. The chosen candidate will not only have the ability to manage an accounts team but interpret, forecast and strategise accounting information and present it to the board of directors to help them make informed financial decisions. The candidate will be able to embrace technology and implement new systems to improve efficiency across the back-office team.
- You are an organised, forward-thinking individual with lots of ideas for growth and improvement.
- You are approachable and good at explaining complex issues in a simplified way.
- You have worked in either the construction, recycling or property industry so understand how to put into practice best accounting techniques.
- You enjoy a fast paced role and are able to work in the office 5 days per week.
Objectives of the role
- Take responsibility (either directly or via staff) for all cash management, investments, insurance, budgeting, and financial reporting, and help drive the company’s financial strategy and hiring needs.
- Coordinate development of annual operating, capital, and program budgets, as well as reporting for the same.
- Ensure cash flow is compatible with operations by overseeing day-to-day accounting, recording, reporting, and internal-control activities of the organisation.
- Develop and implement best practices and tools to ensure a well-controlled yet flexible organisation that has strong fiscal management, project coordination, cross-team communications, and workflows.
- Comply with national and local financial requirements by studying existing and new legislation and taking appropriate action.
- Use new technology to improve efficiency and transparency in the business.
- Work with the senior management team to efficiently develop budget proposals, provide access to project finance information, and ensure contract/grant compliance and reporting.
- Research revenue opportunities and economic trends, analyse internal operations, and identify areas for cost reduction and process enhancement.
- Develop talent to train up new accountants to not just pass their exams but apply their knowledge to the business.
- Perform risk management through analysis of company liabilities and investments and evaluate and manage capital structure and fundraising initiatives.
- Oversee HR operations by coordinating with external service providers.
- Monitor business performance with tracking tools, establish corrective measures as needed, and prepare detailed reports for earnings calls, management team, and rest of company.
- Manage finance personnel, ensuring compliance with relevant regulatory entities (ex: Financial Accounting Standards Board, Internal Revenue Service, state attorneys general)
- Deliver clear targets for spending based through accounting figures.
Required skills and qualifications.
- Five or more years of experience in executive leadership roles.
- Role open to younger professionals with proven ability to strategise.
- Excellent leadership skills, with steadfast resolve and personal integrity.
- Exceptional verbal, written, and visual communication skills.
- Understanding of advanced accounting, regulatory issues, and tax planning.
- Working knowledge of how to raise capital outside traditional lines of credit.
- Excellent analytical skills to interpret data and strategise investment.
Preferred skills and qualifications
- ACA or equivalent financial analyst qualification
- International finance experience (specifically euros trading)
- Experience working in a privately owned business relaying information to directors and family
- Executive experience with SaaS business models and their associated revenue recognition
- Experience working in industry as an accountant
- Experience implementing new systems and using technology
- A highly competitive salary
- Significant responsibility A chance to make an impact in a business going into its third generation
- Potential bonus structure
- Personal development and support with further qualifications
Qualifications and education requirements
- Member of a relevant chartered institute
- Relevant degree with a minimum 2:1
- Excellent written and spoken English – GCSE or Equivalent Pass grade B
- Excel qualification / competence
- Previous experience in recycling, construction or importing /exporting goods
- Experience mentoring younger members of the team
- Experience with financial planning software
- Sage competent
We are actively looking for this role and would like to hire someone as soon as possible.