- Reporting accountant interim role.
- 9-month Fixed-Term Contract–Band 8A-NHS role.
- You must be a fully qualified accountant to apply for this role.
- You must have experience working in the NHS.
- This is a newly created project role to come in & support the finance team.
MAIN DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
To provide complex, sensitive, contentious information, advice and support to the stakeholders. Present this and other performance information at month-end reporting and Divisional management meetings on a regular basis. The post holder must have strong communication and presentational skills with the ability to deliver complex information in an understandable manner to senior non-financial managers, including clinicians. They must be able to utilise presentational aids and their extensive financial experience to impart knowledge to senior managers and colleagues. The post holder must be capable of influencing the team to ensure achievement of the Trust's and Division's financial objectives.
To provide the team with the relevant information to gain assurance, all relevant financial risks and opportunities within the financial position have been assessed and reflected, raising concerns where mitigation are not apparent. To have responsibility for financial management reporting in conjunction with the DFM, including:
- Monthly detailed internal and external financial reports to the management team and for inclusion in the Trust board papers.
- Accurate estimates of all financial risks
- Variance and trend analysis
- Year-end forecast outturn and future year impact
- Progress against efficiency programme (QIPP)
- Costs, where relevant, are consistent with any related reported or forecast income streams.
- To develop improved links between expenditure, income and QIPP, in order to develop performance indicators to inform decision-making on available opportunities.
To work with the DFMs, Improvement Team and Pharmacy to analyse and interpret complex financial and non-financial data, using benchmarking and other resources to make recommendations and advise on a range of options for improvement. This will include supporting DFMs in developing and implementing KPIs and performance reporting of productivity and efficiency programmes that impact on Trust-wide budgets.
To interpret complex, often conflicting data and produce analysis, provide direction and solutions to the DFMs, Head of Financial Management, Improvement Team and Pharmacy.
To support the development, implementation and embedding of a single reporting platform that collates all performance including financial information. This will enable the Divisional managers and clinicians to easily access robust, relevant, timely and standardised information that allows them to influence or change current practices.
To work with DFMs to increase the capability of DFMs management teams through the provision of financial awareness training and continuous support for budget managers and service leads.
To provide input as required to the Trust's statutory financial reports.
The role will help support the delivery of the QIPP targets with the production of key information as well as supporting Pharmacy to produce financial analysis of the drug issues. This will be achieved through the more specific tasks outlined below.
Co-ordinating the financial management reporting and planning to provide high quality reports for both internal and external use, guaranteeing consistent and timely presentation of information.
Leading the review and development of reporting for pharmacies through the full process of drug ordering through to drug issues. This will include reviewing trends of expenditure down to patient issues.
The role includes liaising with clinical areas, supporting them to understand the opportunities as well as developing robust reporting to capture and monitor any savings.
Required to work autonomously, forging strong relationships with the stakeholders and business partnering with them to be an embedded member of the team.
To be responsible for ensuring that monthly performance monitoring reports are robust so that key management decisions are based on accurate business information and all risks are assessed.
Constructively and positively challenge all aspects reporting and performance within Financial Management with detailed improvement plans to ensure continuous development of reporting standards.
- Excellent analytical and technical accountancy skills with knowledge of computerised financial systems and other software packages
- Good interpersonal skills and approachable demeanour, with the ability to develop good working relationships with a wide range of Trust staff, managers, and directors.
- Excellent written, verbal and presentation skills
- Ability to deal with large complex budgets and present a Trust wide picture clearly and accurately.
- Ability to prioritise own and team workload to meet deadlines with effective and appropriate delegation.
- Ability to deal with difficult situations professionally.
- Ability to plan and prioritise tasks, taking account of the workload and achieving deadlines in a fast-paced working environment where demands frequently change.
- Appreciative of the objectives of the Trust and the NHS in general
- Ability to deliver within tight deadlines in an often-pressing working environment.
- Positive approach to change management
- Always maintain confidentiality in all matters of trust business.
- In-depth knowledge of the current NHS agenda and challenges and the NHS and its financial regime
- Experience of working in the NHS.
Proven track record of strong performance in previous roles.
- Evidence of successfully managing additional responsibility within their recent history
- Experience working collaboratively across organisations.
- Experience in producing and compiling complex forecasting models
- Working flexibly, responding to unpredictable demands from both inside and outside the Trust
- Good knowledge of management accounting techniques and relevant Financial Reporting Standards
- Experience of using computerised financial systems
What you need to do now
If you're interested in this role, click 'apply now' to forward an up-to-date copy of your CV, or call us Charles Maidment from the Hays Senior Finance team.
If this job isn't quite right for you but you are looking for a new position, please contact us for a confidential discussion about your career.