Main function of job
(Note: in addition to these functions employees are required to carry out such other duties as may reasonably be required).
This individual will be a key part of management team for London Audit. They will be responsible for managing a portfolio of audit and accountancy clients, working closely with Audit and Business Advisory partners primarily in London. They will contribute to client service delivery, training, and liaising with other departments, and participate in business development and winning new work.
- Reporting directly to Audit and Business Advisory Partners and liaising with other managers as required both in London and across the firm
- Planning, supervision and review of audit and accounts clients. This includes working closely with partners and taking responsibility for each assignment from planning to completion.
- Main point of contact for clients, liaising regularly on day to day issues and technical queries and adding value.
- Assisting the London Audit Team with technical accounting and auditing issues
- Actively training staff and contributing to their development. This may involve presenting to staff or being involved in the development of internal courses
- Billing and monitoring actual costs against budgets and reporting to partners on variances, and drafting bills for review by partners.
- Liaising with the Corporate Business Tax department in relation to the preparation and review of corporation tax computations.
Use of computer packages including CCH Accounts Production, CCH ProAudit, Alphatax, MS Office, Sage 50, Quickbooks, Xero. Any knowledge of other cloud-based applications such as Inflo would be helpful, but not required. The candidate will be expected to use a laptop.
- At least 4 years post qualification experience as a manager within a similar organisation. Trained within a Chartered Practice and used to dealing with the audit and preparation of accounts of individual and group entities of all sizes with turnovers up to £100 million.
- Experience of pension schemes, LLPs, FCA & charities is desirable but not essential.
Particular aptitudes / skills required
- A passion to become part of a growing firm and help to promote the technical expertise of the team and increase its profile.
- Strong technical knowledge of UK accounting and auditing standards (knowledge of FRS 102 required, knowledge of IFRS desirable)
- Able to deal confidently and effectively with clients, staff and partners
- Able to provide on the job training for staff as appropriate
- Able to multi task
- Strong written and oral communication skills are essential
- Proven managerial skills and experience
About Mercer & Hole
Mercer & Hole is an independent firm since being founded in 1905. Today, we are proud to say that we are a growing top 40 accountancy firm performing Audit, Corporate Tax, and advisory work. We are also a top 20 UK firm for both private client tax work and financial planning.
The firm is led by 24 partners, many of whom are top 4 trained, and we value teamwork with over 240 staff across four locations in the UK, with our flagship office in the heart of the City in Lombard Street.
We work with businesses and individuals and provide a quality, personalised service with high levels of expertise across all aspects of audit, accountancy, tax, and financial planning. We have the technical knowledge and excellence, but we also aim to give our clients practical options, and always make complex issues easy to understand. The secret to our success is a commitment to deliver only the best for our clients and to exceed their expectations from our initial contact and throughout our relationship.
We are recognised for being friendly and approachable, taking the time to get to know our clients as people so that we understand what is important to them, their business ventures, and their family commitments.
The firm has a varied, international client base and an international presence as we are founding members of The International Accounting Group and TAG Law which aligns over 16,000 professionals globally.
Making a difference
People and businesses are facing unprecedented change. Across all sectors, business owners, Boards and Executive Management Teams must continually re-evaluate their position and make tough decisions that will affect their future goals and those of their organisations.
We work with a range of clients from start-ups, SMEs and larger corporations, including listed business, across a wide scope of industry sectors to provide them with a range of specialised services. At Mercer & Hole, we are known for our exceptional level of client care. We believe taking time to get to know our clients gives us a greater understanding of their business goals to provide real value.
Our experienced team can provide expert help in the following areas:
• Audit and Accounting (note, audit services not provided to listed entities)
• Tax compliance and advisory
• Business and strategic advice
• VAT including partial exemption issues
• Virtual Finance, including bookkeeping, management accounting, financial modelling and payroll
• “World Class Finance” - review of financial processes and controls, including improvement recommendations and implantation guidance
• Regulatory returns
• Valuation services
• Merger and acquisition support and advice (including Financial Due Diligence)
• Private client services and exit strategy planning
• Raising finance
Values and behaviours
We really want to attract and retain individuals who share our Values:
The firm with the family feel. Express gratitude. Smile. Be humble and confident. Have fun.
Change is imminent, and business is imperfect. Be open minded & agile. Assume positive intent and exercise the power of positive thinking.
Each individual matters and will be heard and respected. Honesty, integrity, empathy and kindness are fundamental.
We support what is important to you and show kindness in our behaviour to each other. We encourage each other to realise our potential.
We strive to be the best, innovate and always do exceptional work. That’s who we are and what our clients deserve.
Mercer & Hole is committed to cultivating and preserving a culture of diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI).
Our people are our most valuable asset. We bring our life experiences, knowledge, creativity, and talents together at Mercer & Hole making it a unique place to work where all can safely thrive.