We are currently looking for a Manager in the Corporate Tax department. This is a key position based out of the Heathrow office and forms part of the wider Tax service we offer our clients.
This role is part of Lucy's team, you may find out more about her here.
Why join Menzies?
- We are a UK based recognised employer of choice with office locations in London, Surrey, Hampshire and South Wales (Cardiff).
- Join our family of 500 employees. Be a member and not just a number!
- We offer a dynamic and rewarding environment with exposure to a diverse range of clients and industry sectors
- Our package and benefits are very competitive
- Work life balance is part of our organisational culture,
- We believe in developing our staff throughout their career
Key Benefits we offer, but not limited to:
- Competitive base salary (we do yearly market research to ensure we offer a competitive salary to our employees and joining candidates)
- 33 days annual leave entitlement a year inc. bank holidays (31.5 days for trainees)
- Annual buy and sell leave scheme
- Private Medical Cover available to all employees (trainees can opt in for a salary sacrifice)
- Private Pension Matching Scheme: if employee contributes 2.5-5%, we match it and add another 3% on top!
- Employee Referral Bonus up to £10,000 for a successful placement
- Reimbursement of one professional subscription each year
- Dress for your day policy – you decide, not us!
- Life Assurance 4x your salary
- Group Income Protection – 75% of salary if long term sickness exceeds 6 months
- Agile Working is embedded in our culture: we understand that everyone works in different ways and need flexibility within their working day
- Learning and Development opportunities and Study Support throughout your Menzies career
- Career Coaching programme for Managers and above
- Better Place to Work Initiative: proactive benchmarking of the best DEI and wellbeing programmes to offer our employees and improve our employee experience
- CSR Programme: each office will be involved in various charity and sporting activities to help raise funds and give back to the local community.
- Employee Assistance Programme - our EAP is available for all Menzies employees and their families. As well as being a support line for mental health counselling, it also offers practical financial, legal and life management advice 24 /7 and is completely confidential.
- Paid sick leave – a generous scheme to help you when you are struggling with health issues
- Free flu jab, eyesight test and physical health checks
- Cycle to work scheme
- Enhanced Parental + Family Leave: We are a place where you can combine both a career and a family so those going on Maternity Leave can expect 100% pay for 3 months and 50% pay for the next 6 weeks, those going on Paternity Leave can expect 100% pay for 2 weeks (both subject to eligibility). We also have Adoption and Shared Parental Leave
- Volunteering Scheme with a maximum of 2.5 days given by the Firm to match 2.5 days devoted to qualifying schemes by the employee in any 12-month period.
- Season Ticket Loan
To find out more about our benefits please read here
Key Duties & Responsibilities:
To manage a portfolio of business tax clients, managing their compliance cycle and ensuring deadlines are met, building relationships, and identifying areas where Menzies can further support and assist.
This is a key role within the Business and Corporate tax team and the successful candidate will be responsible for delivering a mixed role of compliance and tax advisory services across a diverse mix of owner managed companies as well as some large and international groups operating across a variety of industries.
The day-to-day work will include:
- Managing a portfolio of business tax clients to ensure compliance requirements met, building relationship with the client, and identifying areas where Menzies can assist the client
- Assisting with training and management of the business tax team
- Advising and assisting OMBs in respect of their business and tax requirements for example succession planning, remuneration planning, timing of capital expenditure
- Business tax focused but should have a working knowledge of other areas of tax that would affect entrepreneurs behind a business such as Business Asset Disposal Relief, Business Property Relief.
- Advising and supporting entrepreneurial businesses throughout their lifecycle including on protecting and leveraging IP and associated restructurings, determining the right business structure, incentivising staff, growing internationally, and building and protecting value for the shareholders.
- Advise on the tax elements of equity incentivisation, such as the EMI option scheme
- Broad knowledge of other tax areas which are dealt with by other specialist teams, such as VAT and R and D
- Proactively involved in networking, proposals and growing the corporate tax portfolio in London
- Identifying opportunities for tax planning, risk mitigation and cross-selling between service lines to ensure clients receive a proactive and effective service
- Training and mentoring junior colleagues within the Business Tax Team
- Ensuring the Firm’s technical, ethical, risk and compliance procedures are adhered to in all cases.
The successful candidate will be expected to act largely autonomously, subject to support and oversight, as required, by the office’s tax partners.
Relationship management will be a key aspect of the role and the candidate will be expected to contribute to effective team working as part of the management team, responsible for coordinating directly with clients, collaborating effectively with colleagues as well coaching, managing, mentoring, and appraising junior team members.
The tax profession is subject to constant change and evolution and finding new and better ways to work, adapting to accommodate and embrace technological development is essential. In addition to client facing responsibilities, the successful candidate will have the opportunity to participate in internal initiatives to drive positive change and contribute to the advancement of the firm’s business and corporation tax strategy, processes, and marketing initiatives.
- Experience of working with corporate clients and managing compliance processes at a manager or senior manager level.
- Qualified accountant (ACA, ACCA or equivalent) and/or CIOT qualified tax adviser with at least two years post qualified experience in a tax related role
- Corporate tax technical and practical knowledge
- Good knowledge of tax issues affecting OMB’s and their shareholders
- Knowledge of other business taxes and tax reporting processes is preferable but not essential
- Knowledge of UK accounting standards and competent in interpreting accounts and other financial information
- Travel between UK offices and to UK client premises may be required
Our focus at Menzies is providing a #BrighterThinking approach, going the extra mile to keep clients on-track to achieve their personal and business objectives. As a leading UK accountancy and advisory firm, we have a passion for advising entrepreneurs and SMEs through our sector-led teams.
We apply the same principles to individuals within the Firm. Our people are ambitious, self-motivated, and encouraged to develop their skill set and realise their potential.
#BrighterThinking is how we sum up the difference we make, as a firm, to our clients and in the way we hire and develop talent in Menzies. It’s finance and accounting expertise, combined with strategic commercial thinking and a promise to add real value across all areas of our clients' businesses.
When we require external assistance with our vacancies, we will reach out to our PSL supply chain. Please be aware that we operate a very strict PSL policy with close relationships with our suppliers and cannot respond to agencies outside of the PSL. Please do not contact individual hiring managers.