As one of the UK's largest Actuarial practices we're market leaders providing insights and solutions for all businesses that face significant and complex risks. We play an important role in supporting clients through uncertain times. Actuaries analyse how future events could affect businesses and we calculate the impact these events could have on our clients. Using our risk and analytical skills and predictive insights, we calculate the impact of changing demographics or legislation on pension schemes, the effects that changes in financial markets have on different organisations, or how likely a business is to be hit by an earthquake.About Risk
We're a leading provider of trust in the digital world - in the eyes of our people, our clients and our stakeholders. Today's business environment is different. More complex. More connected. Companies not only face new and unknown risks, but also new and untapped opportunities. Our team is at the forefront of this change, join us to be a part of transforming how risk is perceived and capitalised on.About the team:
The PwC Actuarial practice comprises over 300 partners and staff. With offices in London, Edinburgh, Manchester, Bristol and Mumbai, our consultants focus on non-life, life, banking and non-insurance, led by a fifteen strong partner team. This makes us the largest actuarial practice within the large accounting firms. We play the leading role in the 1000+ strong actuarial community in PwC worldwide and often work with specialists from other disciplines within PwC.
A career within the Non-Life Actuarial team will provide you with the opportunity to contribute general insurance advice and consulting services to clients such as insurers, regulators, private equity, and related companies such as agents and administrators.
You'll provide advice covering solvency, economic capital, risk management, mergers and acquisitions, company restructuring and risk control, financial modelling, business planning, new legislation, and the efficiency and reliability of reporting processes.
Our team advises clients in the general insurance and non-insurance industries on business risks and regulatory updates from natural catastrophes to mortgage defaults. We develop comprehensive risk analysis and mathematical models to help organisations enhance their business forecasting capabilities, limit their risks, and use their data informatively to make better strategic business decisions. Our clients trust us to provide well informed and insightful challenges to their business, and the models they use to inform decision making.
Our practice is market leading in the General Insurance space - offering unparalleled access to solving some of the biggest challenges in the non-life industry today for a vast array of clients - large multi-national composites, Lloyd's & London Market, UK & European Personal & Commercial, and Reinsurance Market including many of the well known brands, from global reinsurers to niche players.Preferred Skills:
We are seeking a Manager from a non-life insurance background to join our Actuarial practice. You'll work on Reserving, Pricing and/or Risk and Capital projects across the London/Lloyd's market and/or the Personal & Commercial lines market, as well as multidisciplinary projects around areas such as transactions, organisational transformation, cost reduction and start-ups. You'll be open to new challenges, self-motivated, agile and be able to leverage your existing skills in new areas like IFRS 17.Responsibilities:
- You'll manage and deliver a wide range of concurrent actuarial and multidisciplinary assignments.
- You'll interact with clients, often as the main point of contact on assignments.
- You'll have the opportunity to work in multidisciplinary teams or with people from our network firms overseas.
- You'll take an active role in supporting the strategic management and running of the practice, e.g. through being involved in developing one of our core product areas such as IFRS 17, risk and capital or developing and presenting training programs for graduates and staff.
- You'll be involved in the development of more junior staff through on the job coaching, or acting as a career coach, mentor or study mentor.
The PwC Professional
- Background either as a recognised general insurance consultant or have successfully delivered significant, actuarially related projects from within the general insurance industry.
- Have led actuarial or multidisciplinary projects, being responsible for project management and delivery, including the management, development and growth of staff, delegation of responsibilities and delivering projects to time and budget.
- Good understanding of a broad range of commonly used reserving and/or pricing techniques, the key actuarially-orientated and regulatory issues faced by the market, and a good working knowledge of one or more of financial reporting, risk and capital, Solvency II, model validation or other related non-life insurance work.
- Experience of implementation of Solvency II or IFRS 17, or related experience, would be a benefit.
- Statement of Actuarial Opinion (SAO) and Lloyd's experience would be beneficial.
- Be able to communicate complex technical matters in a clear way.
- Wider commercial awareness, including the understanding of wider business issues facing the insurance industry.
To really stand out and make us fit for the future in a constantly changing world, each and every one of us at PwC needs to be a purpose-led and values-driven leader at every level. To help us achieve this we have the PwC Professional; our global leadership development framework. It gives us a single set of expectations across our lines, geographies and career paths, and provides transparency on the skills we need as individuals to be successful and progress in our careers, now and in the future.
PwC Professional skills and responsibilities for this management level include but are not limited to:
- Encourage everyone to have a voice and invite opinion from all, including quieter members of the team.
- Deal effectively with ambiguous and unstructured problems and situations.
- Initiate open and candid coaching conversations at all levels.
- Move easily between big picture thinking and managing relevant detail.
- Anticipate stakeholder needs, and develop and discuss potential solutions, even before the stakeholder realises they are required.
- Contribute technical knowledge in area of specialism.
- Contribute to an environment where people and technology thrive together to accomplish more than they could apart.
- Navigate the complexities of cross-border and/or diverse teams and engagements.
- Initiate and lead open conversations with teams, clients and stakeholders to build trust.
- Uphold the firm's code of ethics and business conduct.
The firm offers an unparalleled development framework which not only ensures we have strong technical experience, but also supports wider softer skills which are vital to success with our clients. In addition you will work closely with, and learn from, our experienced leaders, benefitting from their diverse experience and propelling your career progression.The Deal
We want all of our people to feel empowered to be the best that they can be, which is why we have 'The Deal'.
Find out more about our firmwide Employee Value Proposition:
Valuing Difference. Driving Inclusion.
We work in a changing world which offers great opportunities for people with diverse backgrounds and experiences. We seek to attract and employ the best people from the widest talent pool because creating value through diversity is what makes us strong as a business, enabling us to solve important problems and deliver value to our clients. We encourage an inclusive culture where people can be themselves, are valued for their strengths and are empowered to be the best they can be. As an organisation with an increasingly agile workforce, we also support different ways of working offering flexible working arrangements.
Learn more here about our work to support an inclusive culture.