Your new company
My client is an independent, not-for-profit research institute, carrying out excellent environmental science across water, land and air. Their work makes a real difference underpinning environmental policies, commercial innovation and conservation action all around the world.
They are now looking for an experienced and part-time Finance Business Partner to join their 600-strong team, contributing to scientific discovery and generating the data, insights and solutions that researchers, businesses and governments need to solve complex environmental challenges.
Working there is rewarding and I have already placed seven candidates there over eight years. Their science makes a real difference, enabling people and the environment to prosper, and enriching society.
Your new role
- Liaison with project teams and key internal stakeholders
- Work with the Project Management team to develop a project finance strategy for implementation and operational phases
- Cost monitoring, tracking actuals against budgets, variance analysis and internal budget reporting for project teams. Advocating cost efficiency and upholding sustainability criteria across the project
- Establish key metrics and criteria for financial reporting within the organisation and to funders
- Guide subject-matter experts in best practice for managing and tracking work package budgets, together with their ongoing review and forecasting
- Coordinate large scale procurement processes – including management of subcontractors. Ensuring smooth financial transactions - costs tracking, invoices, and payment review. Build good working relationships with the procurement team
- Provide commercial insight and advice on preparation of contracts
- Lead on capital reporting and asset treatment, providing input to the development of a new asset database
- Participate in internal and external assurance reviews
For the role of Finance Business Partner – Major Projects, we're looking for somebody who:
- Is a qualified accountant/part qualified/QBE (ICAEW/CIMA/ACA/ACCA/CIPFA)
- Has business partner or equivalent experience
- Has knowledge of project and people management approaches, project controls process and tools, and commercial awareness of contractual implications
- Can demonstrate clear communication both verbal and written (able to explain financial concepts and figures to a non-finance audience)
- Can support decision-making, influence, and challenge when necessary
- Has a collaborative approach to problem-solving and building relationships with stakeholders at all levels
- Has an understanding of the key stages in large-scale procurement
- Has experience of one or more of the following: commercial risk, capital costs, operation & maintenance costs, and contract management
What you'll need to succeed
- Knowledge of public sector funding requirements and processes
- ERP experience, preferably in Workday
- Experience or knowledge of financial management of scientific research projects
- Experience of providing financial support to large projects in an engineering/science environment (either research/applied)
What you'll get in return
Flexible working options available.
- 27 days annual leave, rising to 29 days after five years
- 10% employer pension contribution
- Enhanced maternity and paternity leave
- 24 hour, 365-day access to support with physical, mental, social, health or financial issues
- Flexible working opportunities
- And much more.
What you need to do now
If you're interested in this role, click 'apply now' to forward an up-to-date copy of your CV, or call us now.
If this job isn't quite right for you but you are looking for a new position, please contact us for a confidential discussion on your career.