Trainee Business Adviser - Birmingham
- Birmingham, West Midlands (GB)
- Closing date
- 2 Mar 2023
- Accounting - practice
- Salary band
- Contract type
- Full Time
- Where will they be working?
Ideas | People | Trust
We’re BDO. An accountancy and business advisory firm, providing the advice and solutions entrepreneurial organisations need to navigate today’s changing world.
We work with the companies that are Britain’s economic engine – ambitious, entrepreneurially-spirited and high‑growth businesses that fuel the economy - and directly advise the owners and management teams that lead them.
We’ll broaden your horizons
The Business Services and Outsourcing team are essential to meeting our clients' evolving requirements. As well as delivering long-term, sustainable value to businesses by providing a range of solutions such as accounting, payroll and compliance services, they also play a key role in tying together many of our services across BDO both domestically and internationally. By building deep and meaningful relationships with a range of clients from ambitious entrepreneurial SMEs to large multi-national groups, our BS&O team don’t just advise on their specific business challenges, they open doors for other teams to provide our firm’s wider service offering. To succeed in this agile environment, you’ll need to demonstrate excellent problem-solving skills and initiative. In return, you’ll have the opportunity for progression, and the chance to develop in one of the industry’s most exciting and varied roles.
We’ll help you succeed
- Prepare monthly/quarterly/annual management accounts with little supervision.
- Prepare VAT returns
- Prepare year end statutory accounts for clients with supporting schedules for all balance sheet items and tax sensitive profit and loss items.
- Maintain and build relationships with clients and ensure that all communications are conducted in a professional manner.
- Build trust and connect with clients and targets by listening and showing empathy and patience.
- Demonstrate a sound awareness of how businesses operate, the commercial environment and its impact on the client’s business.
- Train junior members on accounts software and other processes critical to their current or future work.
- Manage information efficiently.
- Maintain awareness of risk and deliver high quality documents.
- AAT qualified or equivalent and pursuing further qualifications (ACA/ACCA) as relevant
- Proven experience of producing monthly management accounts with relevant KPIs
- Good working knowledge of VAT returns
- Experience of audit file preparation and liaison with audit teams (preferable not essential)
- Basic understanding of simple consolidations and cashflow statements e.g. consolidations with acquisitions, disposals, associates, joint ventures and non-controlling interests.
- Competent in the use of Microsoft Office and use of all standard in house packages
- Solid bookkeeping skills and good working knowledge of cloud accounting software
- Experience using CaseWare, Xero, Quickbooks, Sage (advantageous but not essential).
- Basic knowledge of the rules and regulations of doing business in the UK including reporting requirements, tax requirements
You’ll be able to be yourself; we’ll recognise and value you for who you are and celebrate and reward your contributions to the business. We’re committed to agile working, and we offer every colleague the opportunity to work in ways that suit you, your teams, and the task at hand.
At BDO, we’ll help you achieve your personal goals and career ambitions, and we have programmes, resources, and frameworks that provide clarity and structure around career development.
We’re in it together
Mutual support and respect is one of BDO’s core values and we’re proud of our distinctive, people-centred culture. From informal success conversations to formal mentoring and coaching, we’ll support you at every stage in your career, whatever your personal and professional needs.
Our agile working framework helps us stay connected, bringing teams together where and when it counts so they can share ideas and help one another. At BDO, you’ll always have access to the people and resources you need to do your best work.
We know that collaboration is the key to creating value for the companies we work with and satisfying experiences for our colleagues, so we’ve invested in state-of-the-art collaboration spaces in our offices. BDO’s people represent a wealth of knowledge and expertise, and we’ll encourage you to build your network, work alongside others, and share your skills and experiences. With a range of multidisciplinary events and dedicated resources, you’ll never stop learning at BDO.
We’re looking forward to the future
At BDO, we help entrepreneurial businesses to succeed, fuelling the UK economy. Our success is powered by our people, which is why we’re always finding new ways to invest in you. Across the UK thousands of unique minds continue to come together to help companies we work with to achieve their ambitions
We’ve got a clear purpose, and we’re confident in our future, because we’re adapting and evolving to build on our strengths, ensuring we continue to find the right combination of global reach, integrity and expertise. We shape the future together with openness and clarity, because we believe in empowering people to think creatively about how we can do things better.
BDO is the UK member firm of BDO International, the world’s fifth largest accountancy network, with more than 1,200 offices in 138 countries. BDO are building a strikingly different business, focused on exceptional client service. Their accounting services span Audit, Advisory and Tax with clients ranging from large multinational listed companies to private ones. We are actively recruiting across all streams for exceptional candidates.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert