As a Barclays Valuations Control Manager, you will be part of the Management Team of the newly set up Valuation Control team in Glasgow reporting into the regional Head. This is an exciting time to join and lead a new team who will be the control function responsible for providing independent oversight of the fair values associated with the firm’s trading portfolios. You will utilise your expertise to influence and motivate others across the team to deliver against key projects, both regionally and globally.
Barclays is one of the world's largest and most respected financial institutions, with 329 years of success, quality and innovation behind us. We offer careers that provide endless opportunity – helping millions of individuals and businesses thrive, and creating financial and digital solutions that the world now takes for granted.
We’re committed to providing a supportive and inclusive culture and environment for you to work in. This environment recognises and supports ways to balance your personal needs, alongside the professional needs of our business. Providing the opportunity for all our employees, globally to work flexibly empowers each of us to work in a way that suits our lives as well as enabling us to better service our customers’ and clients’ needs. Whether you have family commitments or you’re a carer, or whether you need study time or wish to pursue personal interests, our approach to working flexibly is designed to help you balance your life. If you would like some flexibility, then please discuss this with the hiring manager, and your request will be reviewed subject to business needs.
We are currently in the early stages of implementing a hybrid working environment, which means that many colleagues spend part of their working hours at home and part in the office, depending on the nature of the role they are in. We’re flexible on how this works and it may continue to change and evolve. Depending on your team, typically this means that colleagues spend a minimum of between 20% to 60% of their time in the office, which could be over a week, a month, or a quarter. However, some colleagues may choose to spend more time in the office over a typical period than their role type requires. We also have a flexible working process where, subject to business needs, all colleagues globally can request work patterns to reflect their personal circumstances. Please discuss the detail of the working pattern options for the role with the hiring manager.
What will you be doing?
• Investigating of pricing/ model uncertainty in methodology and parameters used, as well as testing model calibration employed
• Liaising with Product Control, Risk Management and Quantitative departments on valuation and modelling issues
• Being Involved in regional and global ad-hoc projects
• Managing relationships across departments and the desk
• Leading a team in charge of the calculation of price testing results
• Influencing and motivating others in the delivery of key projects in pressurised circumstances
• Supporting knowledge sharing within the team in conducting coaching and training, while driving a high-performance culture
• Supporting the development of team, identifying strengths and weaknesses, providing suggestions for improvements and maintaining a constructive feedback culture
What we’re looking for:
• MSc in quantitative discipline or a similar qualification and/or professional qualification (e.g. CFA, FRM)
• Extensive experience in a Valuation Control function, Product Control Line, Risk Management or Trading role of a top tier investment bank
• Experience and proven track record in dealing with junior and senior members of Front office, Line Product Control, Risk Management teams across various locations
Skills that will help you in the role
• Considerable financial product knowledge and attention to detail, along with the ability to multi-task and prioritise own request
• A team player with excellent interpersonal and stakeholder management skills, who can work independently to resolve unstructured problems
• Solid communication skills and the ability to present and explain complex issues in simple terms with stakeholders from Trading, Finance, market Risk and IT across different levels
• Proactive and assertive attitude in identifying Control or Valuation concerns and driving Control improvement for their area
Where will you be working?
Our new state-of-the-art Campus, right in the heart of Glasgow is a hub of creative collaboration. A place where everyone can bring their true selves to work and reach their full potential. Home to 5,000 of our colleagues, our Tradeston campus will support the community in more ways than one - by creating thousands of new career opportunities and celebrating local artists. A short walk from Central Station on the south of the Clyde, it will be a key location for the Barclays business that will deepen our ties with the city and its communities.