The North Sea Transition Authority’s role is to work with the industry and government on economic recovery of the UK’s oil and gas resources, whilst also supporting the move to net zero carbon by 2050.
Our ambition is to be a world-leading authority setting the framework for a sustainable and competitive UK oil and gas industry. We believe that economic recovery of oil and gas is not in conflict with the transition to net zero carbon and that the industry has the skills, technology, and capital to help unlock solutions to help the UK achieve the net zero target.
This directorate is responsible for providing services, data, information and digital solutions to enable and support strategic decisions including finance, digital, data & technology services, facilities management, procurement and contract management.
Brief overview of role
The Head of Finance has the responsibility of overseeing the finances of the NSTA, leading a small finance team in financial reporting, business partnering, internal controls and financial planning. This is a critical role within the Corporate leadership team and will give the post holder the opportunity to act as a strategic partner and interact with and work alongside senior stakeholders within the NSTA and Government.
This role will suit a highly motivated individual with proven flexibility and initiative. The post holder should hold a CCAB professional (or equivalent) membership and have experience of working in a public financial management role. Experience of the use of financial data to drive strategic decision-making in a proactive way will be particularly helpful. Candidates should be able to demonstrate excellent interpersonal skills and a collaborative and empowering leadership style. A focus on meeting priorities and deadlines while maintaining the highest standards of accuracy and clarity is vital. You'll be responsible for all finance aspects of the business, both in terms of transactional processing and reporting, and also regarding internal controls.
Detailed job description and key responsibilities
Reporting to the Director of Corporate and Chief Financial Officer your key responsibilities will include:
- Provide leadership and guidance to the finance team, coach and mentor team members supporting professional development & wellbeing.
- Lead an efficient and effective finance team and business partnering service, providing a variety of services in support of NSTA objectives
- Lead on the creation of Budget Strategy and ensure the annual budget setting is delivered and fully funded.
- Lead the team in the preparation of monthly finance packs to the Leadership Team and the Board;
- Deliver an effective business partnering service to NSTA Leaders and Board;
- Implement internal controls to safeguard and control the financial framework of the organisation and ensure these are adhered to;
- Identify and implement new initiatives to improve the financial framework using new technology such as automation and business intelligence insights
- Ensure effective Finance Manual, Treasury and Debt Management systems are in place;
- Manage the finance budget in line with business requirements including managing and monitoring spend against approved delegated budget;
- Drive strong financial management culture through guidance and training on public financial management;
- Advise the Accounting Officer (Chief Executive), Director of Corporate and Chief Financial Officer and Audit & Risk Committee on public financial management, financial reporting and Value for Money;
- Establish and maintain positive relationships with key stakeholders, including NSTA Leaders, Government and professional advisors. Support and coach your team to do the same.
- CCAB (or equivalent) professional qualification
- Significant financial management experience
- Central Government public financial management experience
- Experience of advising senior leadership and boards on financial reporting requirements
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills with ability to influence across all levels.
- Preparation and presentation of financial reports
- Leadership and management of small finance team, experience in mentoring and coaching team members
- Robustness under pressure and an ability to lead, prioritise and manage a small team with competing priorities.
- Experience of analysis and interrogating financial information
- Developing financial processes and systems
- Commercially astute and customer focused
- Project management experience
- Experience of automating finance functions and implementing PowerBI (or equivalent) driven financial reporting
- VAT experience
- Contract management experience
- Risk management experience
- Understanding and/or experience of the oil and gas industry
- Public sector procurement and commercial experience
Contact for further information:
For further information on this post, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
All appointments are subject to the successful completion of pre-employment enquiries.
Inclusion and Diversity statement
The NSTA is committed to embedding equality and diversity into all our policies and processes. We will aim to recruit, retain, and promote staff based on competence and regardless of characteristics including those listed under the Equality Act 2010. These protected characteristics are: age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion and belief, sex and sexual orientation.
Unless otherwise stated consideration will be given to requests to work on a part time or job share basis. Flexible working hours can also be considered. The role will be required to undertake regular travel to either the NSTA Aberdeen or London office.
The NSTA’s hybrid working arrangements includes an expectation for staff to spend 40% of their time in the office as a minimum.