Tax Senior Manager
- London (Greater)
- Closing date
- 24 Dec 2022
- Salary band
- Contract type
- Full Time
- Where will they be working?
- Hybrid - mostly office
We help our clients stay ahead of changes that impact their businesses, navigating complexity and risk. We deliver deep tax technical, people and legal expertise, while providing the critical context to make informed and compliant decisions. With clients ranging from multinational organisations and public sector bodies to entrepreneurs and family businesses, the work we do is diverse.
We're the leading UK provider of tax services in terms of the reputation, size, and scope of our practice. The work we do is diverse, and our clients span a range of industries, from multinational organisations, to entrepreneurs and family businesses. Our goal is to provide a technology enabled service you can be a part of, working alongside people with experience in developing solutions for our clients.
Our purpose is to build trust in society and solve important problems. It is this focus that influences the services we provide and decisions we make. We seek to attract the best people from a diverse talent pool and encourage a culture where people can be themselves and be valued for their strengths. This is what makes us a strong organisation with an increasingly agile workforce which is why we’ve the ‘Deal’ – including an ‘Empowered day’ (more freedom around working pattern), hybrid working (with 40-60% of time expected co-located with colleagues in office or client sites) and summer working hours (a reduced working day on a Friday in July and August with hours condensed into the rest of the week
We are looking for Senior Managers to join our corporate tax team with a mixed portfolio of advisory / audit of tax work. The portfolio mix can be flexed according to candidate and experience, anticipating an advisory element of up to 50%. This role has opened as part of the growth of our Audit of Tax Specialist (ATS) Network – a group who support our audit practice on the more complex areas of large corporate audits of tax (AoT). The ATS network comprises core team members (spending 50% of time on AoT) and non-core team members (spending 50% of time on AoT) members. The core team provides consistency year on year for both clients and PwC teams as well as being able to develop model AoT practices that drive continual improvement within the firm.
You will have the opportunity to work with experienced and senior staff across the tax and audit lines of service and put into practice your tax technical skills in a stimulating and challenging environment. You will participate in regular ATS training and network events, including annual away days, quarterly hot topic updates and weekly technical sharing forums. We maintain several internal databases and websites of technical material with lots of practical guidance to support your development. Working across an advisory and audit portfolio will provide the ability to develop both deep technical capabilities and the ability to evaluate judgements on complex tax risks and structures. The nature of the audit work we do within the tax line of service includes consideration of technically complex areas and review of third-party advisory reports which will accelerate your development and enhance your capabilities as a tax advisor.
You will have a clear career path structure, through to director (with potential pathway to Partner). We’re a team with a strong ethos who will help enhance your expert knowledge within this specialism. There’s challenging work to be part of, and we recognise our people for delivering against our team’s strategy on complex engagements. We also have a strong investment from senior resources in coaching and development for all levels. There’s an opportunity for you to build strong, trusted relationships with our clients and several teams across our business We are currently recruiting for people with mixed portfolios across our ATS ‘hubs’ with roles across PwC nationally.
Specific responsibilities include but are not limited to being: -
A Senior Manager is required to work across our corporate advisory and audit of tax teams, leading a portfolio in each area and helping drive the ATS network. This could be in promoting best practice in audit of tax risk and quality, supporting the firm’s internal technical training and development, promoting, or taking a role in the operation of the ATS network, analysing the network’s financial contribution and/or supporting technology and transformation initiatives.
Duties and responsibilities will involve:
● You will manage a client portfolio of tax advisory work, liaising internally with technical specialists and externally with client teams, and reporting to the local and wider Partner / Director group
● You will be responsible for delivering complex audits of tax, liaising with internal specialists, clients and client tax advisors and the core audit team as required
● You will produce or review detailed, high quality audit documentation, ensuring compliance with audit methodologies and documentation standards
● You will produce or review detailed tax advice according to the requirements of clients and in line with the firm’s requirements and procedures
● In both AoT and advisory work, you will manage, coach and delegate effectively to the juniors on the team
● You will consider a broad range of audit issues, including tax risks associated with international supply chain, finance structures, the impact of changing tax rules, the impact of major corporate transactions and appropriately accounting for tax uncertainties
● You will play a key role in the technical and personal development of the local or regional tax team You will have the opportunity to work with experienced Directors and Partners across our national network
Essential skills and experience (no desirable, only essential)
● Minimum of 2:1 degree
● UK professional qualification (ACA/ACCA/ATT/CTA/legal qualification) or overseas equivalent
● You will have gained audit of tax experience on international audits and/or tax accounting experience on international projects
● You will need a strong understanding of audit risk and how this is managed through procedures and documentation
● You will need a flexible approach to allow you to work as part of a number of client teams simultaneously
● You will have experience of developing and maintaining strong relationships with clients and internally
● You will need strong analytical skills and a proven ability to solve complex problems in a collaborative and creative way
● You will have a focus on self-development and in the development of others in your teams
● You will have a strong tax accounting background and be capable of delivering tax accounting assistance and advice relevant to consolidated international tax provisions and impacts of changes to accounting policy
● Experience of US GAAP is preferred but not required
● Knowledge of UK GAAP and IFRS is essential
Not the role for you?
Did you know PwC offers flexible career arrangements and contract work? Learn more.
The skills we look for
The PwC Professional is our global framework for defining and encouraging leadership at all levels. Learn more.
‘The Deal’, our firmwide Employee Value Proposition’ empowers our people to be the best they can be. Learn more.
Our commitment to you
We’re committed to building a culture that empowers all of our people to thrive and feel a sense of belonging at PwC. Learn more.
If you’re a person with a disability, if you’re neurodivergent, or if you have a condition that you believe may affect your performance during our selection process, we’ll be happy to make reasonable adjustments to our processes for you. Learn more.
Our values define how we do things. And our purpose is why we exist - now more than ever - to build trust in society and solve important problems for our clients and our communities. In a world we no longer recognise, we need to rely on the strength and agility of our people to help us to navigate these uncertain times.
We're committed to ensuring that care and our people's wellbeing remains central to our culture. While we may not know what’s ahead, we can do all we can to help shape the future. As we continue to navigate this unprecedented time, it’s important that we support our people, to help them take care of themselves and to ensure the right support is available when it’s needed.
For now, we ask you to join our talent network and stay in touch with what’s happening in real time, including new possibilities as they arise. Visit our website for more information on how we’re responding to this pandemic and what changes we’re making to our recruitment process.
Stay safe and stay connected in this rapidly changing world.
Opportunities are at the heart of a career with us. Opportunities for you to sharpen your skills, collaborate with experts, build lasting relationships and make an impact in a place where people, quality and value mean everything.
Our offer to you...
· Be part of the world’s leading professional services network and enjoy the benefits that come with that.
· Meet and collaborate with highly talented people from diverse backgrounds, developing new ways of thinking, creating value for you, for PwC and for our clients.
· Work in a challenging and stimulating environment where you’ll be inspired to reach your full potential.
· Identify and develop your skills, build on your existing strengths and discover new ones you didn’t know you had. Watch your expertise and influence grow with us.
The PwC deal
No matter which area of the business you choose to join, all offer the same deal. The opportunity to grow as an individual, to meet new people, and build lasting relationships that will stay with you for life. All whilst making an impact in a place where people, quality, and value, mean everything. Your hard work will be rewarded with a competitive salary and a personally tailored benefits package.
What you need to bring to us
Your intellect, willingness to learn, ability to build relationships, put yourself in others’ shoes, while always making a positive impact with our clients and each other.
The skills, insights and connections you develop at PwC are career defining wherever your career may take you. It’s the opportunity of a lifetime. Take it.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert