About the Opportunity: Full–time, Salary: £50,000 - £60,000 per annum + bonus, Base salary depends on experience
An exciting opportunity for a qualified ACA/ACCA to work for a young innovation funding start-up, GKA Innovation, unlocking funding for companies involved in R&D. As a Senior R&D Tax Consultant in the team you will be working with a variety of clients from owner-managed businesses to multinational groups, who are at the front line in developing cutting-edge technology which is helping the UK to stay as a market leader by encouraging investment into research and development.
The successful candidates will get the opportunity to work as part of a diverse but closely knit team of science/engineering/industry academics and tax specialists.
You will be required to work closely with our clients’ senior R&D and finance personnel across a wide range of different industries (from pharmaceuticals to farming) and will be responsible for undertaking complex financial data analysis and R&D tax relief assessments. You will play an active role in drafting incentive packages for clients, liaising with their accounting teams, and taking part in remote and face-to-face client communication.
As well as working directly with existing clients, you will also be offered the chance to support business development opportunities.
About the GKA Innovation team
Recognised and award-winning in our specialist fields, we are the highest qualified innovation funding team in the UK and one of the only funding firms that is owned and run by a young dynamic team of Ph.D. qualified scientists, engineers, and in-house chartered accountants with extensive experience across construction, healthcare, manufacturing, waste management, food production, and AI sectors, amongst others.
About the role
Key responsibilities will include:
- Working as an effective member of a project team, exhibiting strong communication skills and be able to work collaboratively with other team members of different skill sets, notably the Technical Directors and Finance Director.
- Analysing financial statements to identify expenses relevant to R&D tax relief.
- Taking part in client calls and attending on-site visits.
- Processing apportioned expenditure accurately in an R&D tax relief assessment to work out the corporation tax benefit due to the client.
- Preparing submission instructions for client accountants so they can amend the corporation tax computations and returns accurately to reflect the R&D claims.
- Liaising with accountants to check amended corporation tax computations and returns and ensure the claims are filed in a timely manner.
- Managing your own portfolio of clients in a way that maximises the company's growth and consequently your remuneration, which is linked to this.
Essential skills and experience:
- Accounting qualification (ACA or ACCA) with a strong background/training in Corporation tax
- Preferably experienced within the field of R&D tax
- Experience in dealing with a multitude of complex tasks simultaneously to meet stringent deadlines.
- The ability to read financial statements with an analytical mind, as well as corporation tax computations and corporation tax returns to ensure they accurately reflect the benefits being applied for.
- Strong Microsoft Excel skills (Pivot tables, Vlookup)
- Strong mathematical skills, especially with regards to percentage calculations and apportionments
- Strong attention to detail and financial due diligence, particularly the ability to self-review one’s work and spot errors.
- Strong interpersonal skills do develop a good rapport with clients and ensure they are happy with the service being provided.
- A proactive attitude to client management to obtain whatever information you need in a timely manner.
- Good planning and organisation skills to manage your portfolio and the associated client deadlines and expectations.
What we offer
We offer a competitive remuneration package where you’ll be rewarded meritocratically for your individual and team performance in the form of bonuses. Plus, we offer:
- Flexible Working: We understand that sometimes other life commitments mean working from the office can be difficult so we are happy to allow our employees to work from home on certain days, if required.
- Continuous learning: Should you desire, we offer remuneration for further exams within the field of accountancy as well as for online courses in a field of industry (e.g. oncology, prosthetics, architecture, construction) that resonates with your client portfolio at GKA Innovation.
- Success as defined by you: We’ll provide the tools and flexibility, so you can make a meaningful impact, your way.
- Responsibility from the start: As we are a start-up, your contributions will be evident from the beginning, providing you the opportunity to rapidly progress in your career, as the company grows.
- Fun and inclusive culture: We believe that work shouldn't be a drag and we strive to create a fun and inclusive culture, where employees can enjoy their work and be motivated to be the best version of themselves.
Learn more here: www.gkainnovation.com
January start date