1. Purpose of the role:
Responsible for the provision of accurate and timely financial information for submission to the Financial Controller. Preparing annual & half year report and accounts and key contact for external auditors. Active lead in the month end ledger close and associated reporting. Working with other members of the Finance department to maintain and develop all aspects of the Bank’s financial accounting processes and related controls, ensuring compliance with regulatory and statutory requirements.
• Prepare month end balance sheet reconciliations, active lead in the month end close process and reporting.
• Ensure compliance with relevant accounting standards.
• Produce the statutory annual accounts and half year report.
• Research and prepare technical accounting papers on impact of new/amendments to accounting standards, and appropriate accounting treatment of significant business transactions.
• Ensure all taxation matters are dealt with in line with procedures and provide the Bank’s outsourced tax advisors with all required data and reports.
• Manage and plan the external audits as appropriate.
• Support Accounts Assistant in the management of expenses and invoices authorisation process, and daily position keeping to manage the Bank’s liquidity position.
• Prepare quarterly VAT returns.
• Provide input to the finance process to continually seek improvement and enhance the control environment, and ensure all procedures are maintained and reviewed regularly for processes under your control.
• Develop and annually review accounting policy manual. • Maintain and develop all administrative and other issues as required.
3. Risks and controls
• Ensures that treating customers fairly is at the heart of everything we do, both personally and as an organisation. This is achieved by consistently operating to the highest ethical standards aligned to the founding principles of the Bank, as well as understanding that the Bank will at all times seek to protect its reputation.
• Continually reassess the operational risks associated with the role and inherent in the business, taking account of changing economic or market conditions, legal and regulatory requirements, operating procedures and practices, people, re-organisation and the impact of new technology. This is achieved by ensuring that all actions take account of the likelihood of operational risk occurring and by addressing any areas of concern with line management and/or the appropriate department.
• Adheres to, and is able to demonstrate adherence to, internal controls. This is achieved by adherence to all relevant procedures, keeping appropriate records and by the timely implementation of internal or external audit points and any issues raised by the external regulators.
• In conjunction with Risk and Compliance function, adhere to the Bank’s Policies and Procedures by containing Compliance risk (this embraces all relevant financial services laws, rules and codes with which the business has to comply). This is achieved by adhering to all relevant processes/procedures and by liaising with the Risk and Compliance function about risk events at the earliest opportunity. Also, when applicable, by ensuring that adequate resources are in place and training is provided, fostering a Compliance culture and optimising relations with the Regulators
4. Other requirements / skills specific to the role
• Qualified Accountant – ACA/ACCA
• Technically strong understanding of accounting standards – applicability and implementation
• Strong communication skills – verbal and written • Excellent organisation skills
• Flexibility to meet business demands
• Team player