Head of Tax
An International building and construction business based in Newcastle upon Tyne is looking for a new Head of Tax to lead and develop the Corporate and Indirect tax teams. You will be expected to improve the processes which are undertaken therein and will have a dotted line into the Group tax team, where you will have plenty of opportunities to contribute to broader strategic initiatives and develop your career.
This is a large, multinational property business based in the Newcastle area with a large team of 10-15 people. They are known for developing their staff and providing opportunities within. This will be a hybrid office/home working role so they offer a degree of flexibility.
- As Head of Tax, you will be responsible for leading a multifaceted team who are responsible for the delivery of:
- Statutory accounts;
- Year-end and interim group reporting process for UK tax;
- UK tax compliance and advisory work; and
- Indirect tax compliance.
- Responsible for the performance and development of all people within the team, instilling in your direct reports a good people management discipline.
- You will form part of the leadership team and will be expected to contribute to wider strategy and direction and deliver programmes across the department.
- You will be the voice of your team and as such be responsible for increasing its integration within the wider finance team in Newcastle, raising the profile of those within the team and visibility of their achievements.
- You will be expected to work closely with Group tax and will be instrumental in developing and influencing tax strategy to mitigate risk and reduce tax leakage.
- You will review and sign all UK corporation tax returns on behalf of the group and lead on all related compliance activities - e.g. RDEC claim, capital allowances claim, group relief surrenders.
- You will initiate and review technical analysis as required or instructed by Group tax.
- You will be responsible for the Senior Accounting Officer process and submissions.
- You will be required to drive standardisation and efficiency across the function in terms of both process design and organisational structure to move towards a truly agile team.
- You will provide a continued challenge to all areas of the finance function across the group to allow your team to achieve best practice with standardised, controlled, and efficient processes.
The successful Head of Tax will have:
- Experience in developing, motivating, and managing people of differing experiences and ambition
- Accounting qualification - ACA and/or CTA
- Proven experience as a senior tax person within an organization, with considerable accounting and compliance knowledge
- Strong understanding of all transactional finance processes and their impact on the tax compliance process
- Experience in preparing and reviewing corporate tax returns, statutory accounts, and VAT returns
- Good knowledge of "best practice" in process management and compliance within finance
- Well-developed influencing and assertiveness skills
- Excellent problem-solving and analytical skills
£70,000 - £100,000 (dependent on experience) + £6,100 car allowance + 20% bonus + family health cover + flexible working options and a range of other exciting benefits