Innovation and Capital Incentives Manager
We help our clients stay ahead of changes that impact their businesses, navigating complexity and risk. We deliver deep tax technical, people and legal expertise, while providing the critical context to make informed and compliant decisions. With clients ranging from multinational organisations and public sector bodies to entrepreneurs and family businesses, the work we do is diverse.
PwC’s national Innovation and Capital Incentives (ICI) team are passionate about helping clients obtain the incentives and allowances available to support their investment in innovation and capital assets. Based in the Southern region (Cambridge, Reading, Watford, Southampton), we are a diverse team with a strong focus on growth.
We are looking to recruit an individual at Manager level with experience of Patent Box and/or UK R&D tax incentives and are keen to hear from people who are passionate about innovation, getting to know a broad range of businesses and having a direct role in growing our ICI practice.
We are particularly focussed on candidates able to support us in:
- Managing a portfolio of Patent Box and R&D clients and project delivery across these
- Preparation of Patent Box and R&D claims for submission to HMRC
- Managing client engagements and developing strong relationships with both our clients and internal stakeholders
- Preparing responses to or liaising with HMRC with regard to queries they have on Patent Box or R&D claims on behalf of our clients
- Advising clients and internal stakeholders on tax technical points
- Supervising juniors undertaking the work and apprising more senior stakeholders of progress
- Helping to identify and develop new opportunities, including involvement in pitching for work
- We would be happy to take applications from candidates who only have the relevant experience in one of the key technical areas (Patent Box or R&D) as long as they are comfortable in the knowledge part of the role and would be undertaking training and upskilling to enable them to extend their expertise across both areas. If no Patent Box experience is held, a corporate tax background would be preferable.
Essential skills and experience
- Excellent working knowledge of tax incentives and experience in preparing claims including:
- Patent Box claims, including elements such as assessing the level to track and trace and preparation of nexus fractions and/or
- UK R&D tax incentive regimes (covering both SME and RDEC claims) and experience making claims across a range of industries
- Strong project management skills - able to manage several live projects at once and plan own workload.
- Excellent communication skills - the candidate will be expected to be the point of contact on the projects they manage supporting a range of stakeholders including client contacts, PwC staff in the incentives team and also in the wider tax practice.
- Coaching and delegation - the successful candidate will help other Managers and Senior Managers in the team coach and delegate a growing team of associates supporting the ICI team, helping them grow their technical expertise alongside their soft skills.
- Good written skills including report writing, technical memo drafting and concise advice notes for sharing with clients.
- Analytical skills for numerical analysis of client data.
Not the role for you?
Did you know PwC offers flexible career arrangements and contract work? Learn more.
The skills we look for
The PwC Professional is our global framework for defining and encouraging leadership at all levels. Learn more.
‘The Deal’, our firmwide Employee Value Proposition’ empowers our people to be the best they can be. Learn more.
Our commitment to you
We’re committed to building a culture that empowers all of our people to thrive and feel a sense of belonging at PwC. Learn more.
If you’re a person with a disability, if you’re neurodivergent, or if you have a condition that you believe may affect your performance during our selection process, we’ll be happy to make reasonable adjustments to our processes for you. Learn more.