Full-time: 40 hours per week (meal breaks included) with flexible remote working up to two days a week.
Salary: University Grade 08S, Stage 3-5, currently £46,042 to £47,419 p.a., plus generous benefits.
Closing Date: 29 July 2022
Reports to: College Accountant
Start date: Autumn 2022
All Souls College has a turnover of £12 million and a net worth of £430 million. It is an academic research institution with post graduate Fellows – there are no undergraduate students at the College.
The College is recruiting a Financial Controller to work in the College Bursary, to start as soon as possible.
The College has a small Bursary team of five which works closely with members of the other administration teams and Fellows.
The post-holder will work primarily to support the College Accountant but may also provide help to both the Estates and Domestic Bursars as required.
Job description This is a ‘hands on’ role in support of the College Accountant, ensuring the smooth working of the Bursary team and the timely completion of management accounts and other analyses and reports for College committees.
The successful applicant will have good inter-personal and influencing skills, be effective in team building and leading, and be capable of interacting with all levels of the organisation.
- Produce management accounts and other financial reporting in accordance with College reporting deadlines and formats using the Sage 200 reporting system and Excel; Assist with external College reporting, including statutory and legislative reporting requirements; Analyse and monitor battels (catering charges) reporting; Assist with VAT returns preparation; Reconcile Nominal Ledger accounts on a regular basis; Assist the College Accountant with annual budgets and forecasts; Process non-purchase ledger bank payments and transfers, ensuring appropriate controls around authorisation of payments; Pay in the cheques received, assist with credit card receipts; Monitor credit control; Be in contact with the College’s land agents, checking and reviewing information from them on a monthly basis; Cost and Project analysis - supporting the Manciple and the Heads of Department in order to understand trends and cost saving areas; Nominal ledger accounting, including journals and review of correct allocations of transactions, and transfer of trial balance to statutory accounts Excel template at the year end; Supervision of payroll and auto-enrolment requirements; Fixed asset accounting; Ad hoc analysis as requested by the College Bursars or Accountant, including report writing in Word; Review compliance with College decisions and policies and communicate the same to Fellows, staff and the Bursary Team, e.g. academic allowances, allowable expenses et al. Day to day supervision of the Bursary Team (three people); Act as deputy for the College Accountant; Any other reasonable duties.
EXPERIENCE, SKILLS, & QUALIFICATIONS
- Qualified accountant Excellent Microsoft Excel skills and IT literate Experience of evaluating and implementing new processes and procedures Experience of preparing statutory financial reports Knowledge of charity accounts and the Charity SORP Excellent inter-personal skills including good written English and clear telephone manner Flexible and able to help out the Bursary team where needed
- Experience of an Oxford College, Higher Education or charity environment Experience of changing and/or implementing new procedures, using IT effectively Previous experience as a Management Accountant or Project Accountant Previous experience in payroll Knowledge of Sage 200 and Sage Report Designer Experience of preparing and submitting VAT returns, including knowledge of partial exemption methods
Terms and Conditions Normal working hours are 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday (including one hour for lunch) but additional work may from time to time be required according to the needs of the College. Where additional hours are worked, the post-holder will be entitled to time off in lieu as agreed with the College Accountant.
The starting salary will be at Grade 08S, Stage 3-5, currently £46,042 to £47,419 p.a. according to experience and qualifications. Pay is subject to the annual University pay award.
The post-holder will automatically be enrolled in the Universities Superannuation Scheme: employees contribute using the salary sacrifice scheme under which the College pays the contribution on their behalf. For details, see Joining the scheme | For members | USS. This is a qualifying pension scheme which meets or exceeds Government standards for pensions.
Administrative staff are entitled to 20 working days paid leave in addition to the periods of College closure over Christmas and New Year, plus three days' leave at Easter. Staff are also entitled to leave with pay on Bank/public holidays or alternative days decided by the College.
All Souls College welcomes applications from any suitably qualified candidate. Potential applicants who wish to discuss the position should contact the College Accountant, Mrs Diana Mead, (T. 01865 279334, E. firstname.lastname@example.org).
Applications should be submitted to Anne-Laure Guillermain, the Domestic Bursar’s Secretary, via email@example.com by midday on Friday, 29 July 2022. They must include:
- a covering letter explaining the applicant’s suitability for the post; a CV to include details of current salary;
- the names and contact details of two referees able to evaluate the candidate’s work and character, who may be contacted by the College in the event that the candidate is shortlisted;
- the completed Equality Monitoring questionnaire. This will play no part in the selection process and will not be seen by those involved in decision making, however it enables the College to monitor its Equality Policy.
The Privacy Notice explains College policy on the processing and retention of personal data.
There will be two interviews in mid and late August. Candidates invited to interview will be expected to undertake some short sample exercises on the day of the first interview.
All Souls College is an Equal Opportunity Employer and welcomes applications from people of all backgrounds.
No agencies please.