R&D Tax Manager
Do you have experience of R&D Tax and looking to work with interesting clients?
Then why not join our Tax Advisory Service as a R&D Tax Manager where you’ll provide OMB/SME direct tax advisory services to our high growth business clients.
Although the focus is R&D tax credits, there will be many opportunities to develop knowledge and experience in a wide range of tax fields.
This role can be based within a reasonable distance to any of our offices (Truro, Plymouth, Torquay, Exeter, Taunton, Bristol, Salisbury, Poole), with a mix of office and home working.
- Post qualification experience in a tax environment, exposed to range of complex assignments, or able to demonstrate equivalent
- CTA and / or ACA / ACCA qualified and willing to work towards the CTA qualification
- In due course support will be considered for the Advance Diploma of International Taxation if desired and appropriate for the role
- Experience of working within practice, with the competence to deal with managing a portfolio of clients and assignments
- Excellent interpersonal skills – able to deal with people at all levels
- Self-motivated and able to show initiative
- Accurate and able to work well under pressure
- Good problem-solving skills
What you’ll be doing:
We are seeking an individual who has experience and is keen to develop further in all or any of the following fields, but particularly within the field of R&D tax credits, supporting more senior members of the TAS team:
- Complex corporate tax compliance
- Identification and preparation / submission of R&D tax credit claims working closely with our own in-house non-tax engineering qualified R&D lead manager and supervising R&D tax partner
- Equity incentives (EMI options for example) and Employment Related Securities
- EIS / SEIS related matters
- Corporate finance transaction tax advisory and due diligence
- Corporate reconstructions / demergers etc
- International business direct taxes matters and structuring
- Ad hoc business tax advisory
- Complex direct tax HMRC enquiries
- Undertaking client tax work by careful reference to and consistent with the firm’s procedures, to ensure all assignments are completed to a consistently high standard
- Taking a lead role in and managing the assignment process throughout, investigating and resolving problems that may arise during assignments and notifying the Tax and/or Engagement Partner of progress and of any unresolved issues at the earliest opportunity
- Documenting work in a clear and concise manner, ensuring all working papers are legible, easy to follow and well presented
- Technically up-to-date with all relevant tax matters and able to accurately interpret and apply current tax legislation
- Ensure that work is delivered on time and / or to budget
- Management of work-in-progress on all assignments ensuring regular and timely billing and assisting with the prompt collection of debtors
- Reviewing tax work and smaller assignments undertaken by general practice staff, providing coaching (where necessary) and addressing outstanding issues
- Taking a lead in and proactively supporting colleagues in client / potential client meetings
- Be involved in internal and external presentations
- Ensure all outgoing work is appropriately reviewed and authorised in accordance with the firm’s Tax Manual.
- Liaise with other departments as necessary on client affairs
- Employer pension scheme
- Childcare vouchers
- Travel to work loans
- Cycle to work scheme
- Client and employee referral bonuses
- Give as you earn
- Employee assistance programme
- Virtual GP
- Second opinion medical service
- Bereavement counselling and probate helpline
- Your professional institute fees paid by the firm
- Discounted shopping portal
- Francis Clark Charitable Foundation in support of current and former employees
- 25 days annual leave with the option to ‘buy back’ a further 5 days
Why work at PKF Francis Clark?
We’re the largest firm of independent chartered accountants and business advisors in South West England. We have eight offices in Bristol, Exeter, Plymouth, Poole, Salisbury, Taunton, Torquay and Truro.
The firm, which celebrated its centenary in 2019, has 54 partners and over 800 members of staff, with annual revenue of over £50 million. Our continuing growth offers you the opportunity to expand and develop your career in a direction that interests you.
We offer a supportive and flexible culture, taking your career seriously to enable you to be the best you can be.
PKF Francis Clark is a member of the PKF International family of legally independent firms, which together are ranked as the 11th largest provider of accountancy services in the UK by Accountancy Age.
To apply to the R&D Manager role, click the ‘Apply now’ button below. If you don’t have an up-to-date CV or if you would like an informal chat about the role before applying, then please contact Gemma Rid on Gemma.Rid@pkf-francisclark.co.uk.