Head of General Ledger
Head of General Accounting role for Ipsen SSC in Wrexham. £5,000 UK relocation package available.
The Head of General Accounting will operate in the UK Shared Service Centre department within the framework of the Company and Group accounting policies, procedures and internal controls to ensure that:
- Appropriate, accurate and timely Financial Accounts and reports are prepared for all Companies included in the FSSC (~20 companies, will increase over time) and including statutory financial statements for the UK companies
- Financial Transactions are processed in line with the supporting Service Level Agreement and commitments are met
- Monitor and improve the GL team performance through KPIs analysis
- Projects such as geographical and functional scope expansion are fully implemented and executed according to the Group strategy
- The Accounting organization and all sub-teams are managed and supported on a day-to-day basis
- Ensure that the Accounting organization and all sub-teams are managed and supported on a day-to-day basis
- All internal and external reporting deadlines are met on time and to the required level of quality
- Accounts are always compliant with IFRS and/or local accounting standards
- Oversee and support month-end closing process where required.
- Review and approve monthly balance sheet reconciliations.
- Act as conduit between FSSC and Group Accounting functions on senior matters.
- Track and identify problem areas and address underlying issue or problems
- Provide operational back up where necessary to cover any other day-to-day activities of the wider department
- Review and approve SAP Vendor payment runs and urgent payment requests.
- Deliver the Forecast and Budget for specific items with the required level of quality and according to deadline
- Work on continuous improvement to increase the forecast accuracy
- Complex operations are analysed, prepared and operationalized in the GL
Manage External Audits & Financial Statement Preparation
- Oversee direct reports in the preparation of Statutory Financial statement for UK companies
- Ensure external and internal audits are properly planned, executed and all audit requirements are delivered
- Participate in Audit Close Out meetings
- Communicate on audit findings, ensuring FSSC Director & Divisional Heads remain fully informed on sensitive topics, findings or recommendations
Manage the Organisation
- Manage the day-to-day activities of Direct and Indirect Reports in the sub-teams, ensuring that all team members are aware of tasks, deadlines and responsibilities
- Manage performance and development of Direct Reports including Objectives setting, completion of Performance Reviews and creation of Development Plans. Provide development and coaching opportunities.
- Maintain a robust organisation by ensuring that there is back-up and cover for all tasks. E.g. using training matrices. Organise training and put in place periodic job rotation. Ensure effective onboarding processes exist.
- Ensure that effective and accurate SOPs and Work Instructions are in place for all activities. Review and approve.
- Operate controls to ensure work volume and quality is of the required level. Use visual tools to engage the team.
- Organise Team and individual meetings as required to operate effectively
- Create and foster a culture of Teamwork, Customer Focus and Continuous improvement
Monitor and Report on Service Delivery
- Ensure the quality of services rendered to the different entities hosted in the SSC
- Oversees, monitor and Report the performance of the organisation vs the Service Level Agreement through the creation and analysis of KPIs
- Prepare and attend all Balance Sheet Review meetings
- Support the preparation and delivery of the Shared Service Centre Operational Review Meetings
- Build relationships with customers via periodic face-to-face meetings and seek formal and informal Customer feedback
- Support the periodic review of the Service Level Agreement
- Ensure projects related to UK Shared service center scope expansion (geographical and functional) or any other project are appropriately managed and executed according to Group Strategy
- Lead in any project where the SSC is involved (ex : ERP or any other tool implementation, …)
Maintain a Control Environment
- Ensure that a robust and efficient system of internal controls is in place and that controls are adhered to
- Liaise with Group Internal Control on any proposed changes to ways of working and implementation of new policies
- Accountable for fulfilling the internal control Self assessment questionnaire for the Group (for the SSC part)
- Highlight local initiatives and process improvement activities to develop function and expertise
- Continually re-assess the scope of the SSC and make recommendations for scope increase
- Actively drive improvements to the Record to Report processes using site-wide tools and systems.
- Work with Group on an improvement projects as required
Works within GMP / EHS requirements
- To perform assigned tasks whilst adhering to current GMP requirements at all times.
- Report any compliance concerns to your line-manager or Quality Assurance Compliance
- To work in a safe manner at all times, and raise any Health and Safety concerns to your line-manager or the EHS team
- Do not perform any tasks you are not trained to complete.
- Ensure all training is kept up to date and documented by adhering to training plan requirements.
Experience & Qualifications:
-Ideal: Fully qualified Accountant with a minimum of 10 years practical experience in Accounting and 5 years in Finance Management role in a SSC.
-Minimum: Fully qualified Accountant with up to 5 years practical experience in Finance Management role. Preferred: One additional European language (French is a plus)
Technical competencies required
- Strong Team Management and organisational skills
- SSC organisation and customer service expertise
- Qualified accountant, with a high level of expertise in Accounting, Tax and Internal Control
- High level of competency in SAP and Microsoft Office
- Process improvement tools and techniques
What you need to do now
If you're interested in this role, click 'apply now' to forward an up-to-date copy of your CV, or call us now.
If this job isn't quite right for you but you are looking for a new position, please contact us for a confidential discussion on your career.